2/24/09

PSL Will Have To Go On Without Me

Well, I've left Tradition...

This is the second season I have had the priviledge of being "officially" at ST, representing Morris Communications.

It's funny. I spent 30+ years as a success in another field, and always felt in control and confident when I "went to work" there every day, but I leave this year from Lucy still feeling like the Jimmy Olsen I've become.

The press crew are all much younger than I and don't possess the gift (is it a gift?) of gab of people 55+. I wore my white hat with the name "Mack" on it, but either no one knew who the hell I was, or chose to stay in their own world.

I did introduce myself both to John Heyman (did I spell that correctly?) and Adam Rubin and both were very nice to me. I also had the opportunity to meet many more of the players, though I am still upset about how I wrongly reported something on Nelson Figueroa.

In fact, I must have touched a nerve somewhere, because, just as I was packing up and saying goodbye to one of the players in the clubhouse, a Mets official came over and asked if I was blogging straight from the clubhouse. I wasn't... heck, I don't even own a handheld... but obviously he was given that information by somebody who was reading what I was blogging... from the press room (which is okay)... and told this official that I was doing something wrong.

The player I was talking to laughed and said "you seem to be making someone uncomfortable with you writing...". I then left and drove out of town.

Same uneasy feeling as last year, but I accomplished what I wanted to do.

I also made arrangements with someone local there to become a reporter on this site, and he will be blogging directly with the results of all the GCL and Lucy games.

I hope you all enjoyed the few days of blabber I put here. Fell free to ask me anything on your mind.

Mack

No comments: