7/27/09

Hey Guys




June 7th, 2006 was truly one of the happiest days of my life and one that I will never forget. It was on that day that I heard my name called out as the 994th pick in the 33rd Round of the 2006 MLB First Year Player's Draft.




"New York Mets select player #808, Ted Dziuba, catcher from Babson College, Babson Park, MA"

I can't even begin to tell you how special that moment was for myself, my family, my fiancee, and the small business school in suburban Massachusetts that I had played for the 4 years prior. Tears of joy streamed down mine and my father's face as we came to the mutual realization that after all of the rejections from D-1 schools, backup stints in summer leagues, and overall lack of recognition from much of the amateur baseball world - I was finally getting my opportunity. This was my chance. As long as I worked hard and played the game that got me here, I was going to prove to the world that I belonged...

25 Months, 6 teams, 50 official at-bats, and 32,956 bullpens later, my tenure with the Mets came to an abrupt end.

Not exactly how I had envisioned my professional career when I heard my name called on that MLB.com webcast.


After trading a couple emails with Mack @ Mack's Mets, it became apparent that despite my .140 career batting average as a 4th string catcher in the Mets Minor League System (And yes, it's customary for Mets officials to place as many as 6 catchers on a single minor league roster) I still have some insight into the world of minor league baseball that some might find interesting. How much money do minor leaguers get paid? What's it like to get released? Why are young men subjected to the living purgatory that is extended spring training? I've been answering questions like this for years with friends and family and I think its time I put them down on paper.

So over my next few submissions to Mack's Mets Blog, I'd be happy to answer any and all inquiries you may have into the life of a minor leaguer. I'll try and share my thoughts on the many talented and hard-working individuals that I was blessed to share a uniform with. I'll even try and chime in on topics pertinent to the state of the Mets - like why does Tony Bernizard still have a job...?
Please feel free to email me: teddy.dziuba@gmail.com and I'll answer as best I can.
And to those of you who actually recognize my name, give yourselves a pat on the back! It never ceases to amaze me how rabid and loyal Mets fans can be, and fans of the Mets Minor Leagues are no different. To think that I went hitless in 19 at bats during my tenure as the Brooklyn Cyclones bullpen jockey and I still, to this day get birthday and Christmas cards from Cyclones fans...you guys are truly special and mean just as much, if not more to the players than we do to you.
Best regards,
--Teddy












No comments: