12/18/09

Cerrone & Frenchy, Swoboda, Arroyo, Reyes... and SNY


Jeff Francoeur:

Cerrone: Yesterday, you did a chat with MLB.com, and, on it you were asked a question to compare On-Base-Percentage guys to RBI guys, and you said one does one thing, one does the other. But, it seems to me you would want to both. What is the difference there, and what did you mean by that?

Francoeur: Well, I think you obviously want to go both. But, you look at a guy that I played with in Atlanta this year, Garret Anderson, who's had a heck of a career and his OBP isn't that great. I think you learn as you go, I'm still 25 and I'm learning different things, learning the strike zone and hopefully I will continue to get better at that; but, at the same time, I'm not going up there thinking to walk, thinking about this or that, if there is a guy on second or third I'm gonna try to drive him in - that's my first priority. Whether I ground out or fly out or whatever, I want to get him and do my best to help the team. I think as you learn more you're OBP goes up; but, I think for me, that's not something I just think about. I know to a lot of statistical people OBP seems to be a huge thing... 15 to 20 years ago it wasn't a big deal... and all of a sudden it is. - NBC Sports



Ron Swoboda:

Before Endy Chavez, “The Catch” in Mets history referred to the diving snare made by Ron Swoboda in the 1969 World Series. I had the great pleasure of talking to Ron about that catch and how he turned himself — through hard work, pride, and dedication — into a Major League outfielder capable of making one of the most legendary catches in the history of New York baseball. If you are an outfielder, a parent of an outfielder, or a baseball coach, you must listen to this podcast, because Ron provides plenty of tips and techniques on how to play the outfield — and he pulls no punches (there’s one part where he criticizes Shane Victorino!).  Mets Today


Bronson Arroyo:

There is a rumor starting to float out there that the Mets are in negotiations with the Reds for pitcher Bronson Arroyo. That’s not only it. According to the rumor, ‘there are multiple other players involved -- including more Reds -- and because the Mets "have a player under contract that needs to be moved in order for the deal to be expanded," whatever that means.’ Hmmm, could moving a contract be Luis Castillo, and the “including more Reds” mean possibly 2B Brandon Phillips? Arroyo is a good pitcher, possibly a #3 for the Mets, who has post season experience (2004 Red Sox) that might help the Mets. - 24 hours from suicide




Jose Reyes:

Jose is not my favorite Met - that title belongs to Carlos Beltran. But there is no Met I root harder for than Jose, if that makes sense. There's something satisfying about watching a born and bred Met play like a superstar, as he did from 2006-2008. Jose hinted that he is very aware of how the fans view him and I almost wish he wasn't. It's this foolishly negative perception that may have driven him too hard to try to come back this season from injury. Hopefully on Opening Day 2010 he will be regaled with a standing ovation to kick off what is ideally another All-Star caliber season. If there's any reason to buy tickets next season, it's Jose Reyes. - amazinavenue





SNY:

On April 29, 2009, the Mets (9-12) were in fifth place in the NL East. By May 10, the Mets (17-13) were in first place. At the end of the month the Mets were in second with a 27-21 record. In April and May, the Mets averaged a healthy 3.2 rating on SNY. That's what winning does. In August and September, when the Mets had already transitioned from the toilet to the sewer, they averaged a Knicks-like 1.7. All this jaw jacking coming from the Valley of the Stupid, and other media headquarters, about the Mets having to make a big splash - now - is entertaining. Hopefully it's selling newspapers, too. But the do-it-(now)-or-die nature of the analysis is over the top. Short of a public-relations concern, it has little to do with business reality. The only player out there who would have brought significant buzz to Queens was Roy Halladay. He's a Phillie now.  -   NYDN








No comments: