12/16/09

Q&A: Mack with Tej


For some reason some fans out there think guys like me and Tej, and Toby Hyde all hate each other. No way; in fact, Toby and I tried to drive rom Savannah to Kingsport together last year, but my wife wouldn't let me go.

Tej has a killer blog (http://www.facebook.com/l/cb22d;metsprospecthub.blogspot.com).
I talked to Tej this week and asked him if I could shoot out a few questions to him. Here's what transpired:

Mack:  Tej, you've been doing this minor league Met thing for about as long as I have. I'm sure you've watched all the non-signings this week in the free agent market. Who, in your opinion, will come out of the Mets system to help Queens in the beginning of 2010?

Tej:  Beginning of 2010? I hope no one. Here are the 4 guys who I'm keeping my eye on, though, who will be in AAA.



I think Fernando needs to prove he can consistently stay on the field, plus some sustained time in AAA would definitely help him.



Ike Davis needs to learn to hit lefty pitching, and breaking pitches in general, he shouldn't be in the majors to start 2010.



Josh Thole can hit, but he needs to work on the defensive side of his game.



Jon Niese is probably the best answer to your question, and he should definitely be ready for ST coming off his horrible injury, but I feel a few starts in Buffalo wouldn't hinder him too much.




Outside of those 4...Eddie Kunz do anything for you? (Besides scream bust). Nick Evans will probably be in Buffalo, or on the Mets bench. Most of our talent is a year+ away, so some patience from Met fans would go a long way.


Q #2 - actually, I watched Kunz shag balls in ST last year and he laughed when I said he's the future left fielder... you've got 2011 covered pretty well, but what's your thoughts on Tobi Stoner, Nelson Figueroa (SP5 also), or Clint Everts for Queens on April 1, 2010?
Tej:  I like both Everts, and Kelvim Escobar, as low risk high reward options for the bullpen in 2010. as for the rotation...Stoner is a 4th at best, Figueroa...big yawn. The Mets starting depth is going to be in AA and A+ (Mejia, Holt, Niesen, Allen, Familia, Carson, Beaulac, Moviel), but they have very little that can immediately help them. Niese and Gee both suffered injuries last year, or both would've definitely been in Queens when everything went to hell. For that matter - so did Fernando Nieve, AND Fernando Martinez.



If you go and scour the 2009 Buffalo Bisons roster and stats, and look who's back for 2010 - there is very little to nothing there for immediate help, especially in a year (wrongly, in my opinion) where Omar Minaya is on the hotseat.


Mack: you and I are baiscally on the same page, but I really believe Figgy would make a great innings eater as an SP5... anyway... any thoughts on where the FA should go in the next month...

Tej: For the Mets? Just get Matt Holliday.

Mack: true... just 2 more questions...


1. in your opinion, who are the 5 top Mets minor league "sleepers"



2. tell us about your web site (shameless plug time).
 

Tej: 1. The top 5 Minor League Sleepers...well, depends on your definition of sleeper. I think Kyle Allen is still not a household prospect name...ditto Jeurys Familia, so there's two. I'll say Armando Rodriguez (right hand starter who reportedly hits mid 90s), then I'll go offense with my final two picks and say...Cesar Puello (OFer who should open in Savannah), and Stefan Welch (1b/3b who should open with St. Lucie).


2. MetsProspectHub - we started that ... jeeze, way back in the fall of 2006, November, if I remember correctly. It's basically your one stop shop to find out about the days/previous days events in the Mets minor league system, and occasionally to get a nice rant from me, as well as some opinion from myself and David (my cowriter). Be on the lookout for our annual System Audit (sometime in late February or in March).




Thanks for the Q&A, Mack.
 
Mack: And, thank you Tej.

No comments: