12/31/09

Raul Casanova, Orlando Lava. June 2009, Keith Hernandez Trade... and The Fonz


Raul Casanova:
Caguas 8, Mayaguez 4 - Rangers prospect Michael Ballard (2-1) scattered three hits over a season-high six innings and former Mets prospect Raul Casanova plated five runs as the Criollos doubled up the Indios. Ballard has six scoreless outings in Puerto Rico. Angel Sanchez (Blue Jays) finished a homer shy of the cycle and had three RBIs in the losing effort - mlb



Orlando Lava:

Navojoa 1, Culiacan 0 - Orlando Lara (Mets) scattered four hits over eight innings and Minor League veteran Stephen Marek allowed one hit over the final frame for his fifth save in the shutout. - mlb


June 2009:

The month began with three straight losses in Pittsburgh that prompted Beltran to say, "I don't know about anybody else, but being swept, I feel embarrassed, us coming here and losing three games, three games with this team. We have to play better, no doubt. We have to take this personal. It can't happen."

But as happened in 2007, June undermined the team. Reyes' situation became more unclear, and by June 22, Beltran, in the midst of a promising season, was assigned to the disabled list because of a bone bruise behind the right knee cap. He wouldn't play again until Sept. 8. By June 6, Beltran, Reyes, Delgado, Pagan, Maine, Ryan Church, Putz and Ramon Martinez were disabled. Moreover, Santana endured the worst month of his career -- a 2-4 record and a 6.19 ERA in six starts -- and the team suffered its worst loss at Yankee Stadium on June 12, when Castillo dropped what would have been the final out of an 8-7 victory. The resulting 9-8 loss was the third defeat in a 5-9 sequence that put the Mets' record one game over .500. Five straight losses at Citi Field -- three to the Yankees and two to the Brewers -- dropped the Mets two games under, though merely three games from first place on the morning of July 1.


Keith Hernandez Trade:

It all began the fall of 1982, just after my 27th birthday. Since my early teenage years I had dreamed of starting my own magazine about professional sports in New York. I remembered a short-lived magazine called “JOCK NEW YORK,” which published for one year in 1969, long enough to celebrate the Miracle Mets on its cover. It boasted writers like Dick Schaap and Jimmy Breslin, and even Howard Cosell penned pieces for JOCK. I was already a magazine fanatic and when JOCK folded, I remember saying to myself, “I’m going to do this magazine one day, only better.” After starting my career at the late, great SPORT Magazine (1978-80), and then spending a year editing a magazine for the National Hockey League, I felt it was time to make the leap and start NEW YORK SPORTS Magazine. I guess I was the Joe DeCaro or Matt Cerrone of my time - Tom Terrific



Edgardo Alfonzo -

Magallanes 9, La Guaira 6 - Former Major Leaguer Edgardo Alfonzo and Pirates infielder Ronny Cedeno drove in three runs apiece as the Navegantes improved to 1-1 in the round-robin playoffs. Pablo Sandoval (Giants) and Michael Ryan each added two hits and scored twice for Magallanes, while Jay Gibbons belted a two-run homer for La Guaira - mlb

No comments: