12/25/09

R.I.P. - Baseball's George Michael


By now most fans know that former NBC4 sports director George Michael died Wednesday night at the age of 70 after a long battle with cancer.

Michael was one of my favorite people, a man who always took my phone call or did not hesitate to call me when he had something to say. It was my honor to be a friend of one of Washington’s great broadcasting icons.

Michael was worthy of the title of “King George.” He took no prisoners and nothing was out of bounds with “The King.” He commanded his four minutes on the 5 and 6 p.m. newscasts and any producer that wanted to cut his segment short did so at their own peril.

His sports budget at NBC4 was the envy of every other station in Washington. He demanded quality from the people around him and the cash it took to make his sportscast the best not only in town, but in the country.



His on camera relationship with anchor Jim Vance was great for the viewers. He once told me that, “Vance is like a brother to me. We talk almost every day and his is one of my best friends. The on camera relationship we have is the same fun, loving relationship we have off camera.”

In 1980 "The George Michael Sports Machine" was launched and four years later NBC aired the show on a national basis. It was an instant hit. While SportsCenter was still in its infancy, Michael showed highlights and did interviews with the top-name sports stars of the day. His last show was aired in 2007 after NBC decided cut backs were needed.

Jim Williams

No comments: