3/23/10

Rotation Circus - I Yield To The Gentleman From... from...

We are less than two weeks away from opening day, and this isn't even funny anymore.

Right now, the Mets will go into the 2010 season with ST ERAs of: 9.00, 5.73, 11.37, 7.36, and either 6.00 or 7.02.

No, this is not the Step Of Faith Christian Academy team and they didn't play UCLA all this month.

It's going to be close to impossible to go into this season with an intact piching staff. Omar, Jerry and Dandy Dan have got to be dropping bricks right now, trying to make room for all six of these guys, plus keep a couple of more in Buffalo with an open plane ticket in their pocket.

Look, Johan Santana will open the season and he is a solid Mets SP1. His numbers suck right now, but he'll be find.

But that's about it right now.

John Maine is nowhere close to ready... Oliver Perez is up and down (really?)... Mike Pelfrey is a mess... Fernando Nieve shouldn't even be taken serious... and Jon Niese is still coming back from a season ending injury

There's always Nelson...  no... I'm not going to bring him up again. After last night's health alert, I have no idea what everyone's priorities are anymore. I always thought you go to ST to win a job, an back in my day, a 0.00 ERA during ST looks pretty safe to me... but, I'm not bringing this guy up again. Unbelieveable.

You have to assume that Bronson Arroyo's agent has been contacted this week, but what do you do with the contracts of Maine, Perez, and Pelfrey? Niese has an option or two, and Nieve can easily be cut, but the Mets seem to need more than one starter right now.

For those of you that want the Mets to keep the kids in Queens this year... I don't think you'll have to wait too long to see that. If the starting pitching, that Jeff Wilpon said is better than what was availabe in free agency, doesn't come around quickly, this race will be over for the Mets way before the all-star break comes around.

And then, you're going to see many of these kids pack their bags to head to Queens.

But, not to play. They will be too busy making connections at LGA for a plane going to their new team.

I yield and reserve the rest of my available time.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tommy2cat says:

Huh? Why the bias against Nieve? So what if he looks like Harpo Marx.

If anyone's job should be on the line, its Dan Warthen's. Now that we have two crusty veterans behind the dish, he can no longer blame the clutch-hitting Omir Santos for pitch selection and walk-a-thons.

Too early to panic, but the numbers are truly ugly.

Here's the pool:

Santana, Pelfrey, Ollie, Maine, Niese, Nieve, Figueroa, Takahashi & Stoner.

Here's my early choices.

Santana, Nieve, Takahashi, Figueroa, Niese

Let Pelfrey, Maine, Ollie & Stoner EARN their way onto the rotation.

Anonymous said...

I think on the contrary, the kids are going to be brought up to stay. Francoeuer, Beltran (maybe not in 2010)Maine and Pelfrey are going to go.

Yes, Nelson deserves a spot. Right now, I'd go with a rotation of Santana, Perez, Takahashi, Niese and Figueroa. Those are the guys performing now. Keep Pelf and Maine in FL working on their stuff. Pelf has a blister. Maine has a brain fart. 15 day DL for both.

Mack Ade said...

I was a little harsh to Nieve.

Actually, I really liked his first three outings last year... then he turned into the second coming of Alay Soler...

Warthen is an interesting guy to meet. Very strong macho personality. The word I received was his confidence in the current staff prevented the Mets from bumping up a few offers to FA this off season.

It could be the last time he makes a decision like that.

Mack Ade said...

Anon:

you may be right, but like the House of Rep, we think different right now...

got some cuts in today... all expected, including Davis.

Watch for something REALLY BIG to happen before opening day...

REALLY BIG

Anonymous said...

Mack: BIG may be that rumored Reds deal that required the end of spring training and another piece.

Arroyo has been Pelfrey-esque this spring. Brandon Phillips has been hitting like Murph. Maybe the stars are aligned? That would be big, but not BIG.

Another ace would be BIG.

Marvelous Marvin

Anonymous said...

Mack, as an aside, not for publication,


I posted your blurb on Raul Valdez on the Mets site. Earlier in the day, I had posted asking if anyone knew about him.

I gave you full attribution. I hope you don't mind. If not, I'll try to delete it.

REALLY BIG, huh? Is Koufax coming back?

Marvelous Marvin

Mack Ade said...

did I say "another ace"??? I didn't say "another ace".... I wouldn't say "another ace"... no way "another ace"...


he he...

Mack Ade said...

Marv Marv:

What site.

Feel free to blurb anything I say or reprint any picture I have taken...

Mack

Anonymous said...

Mack,

I posted a question about Valdez on the www.nymets.com message board

When I saw your blog, I posted it and answered my question.