8/24/10

Q&A From Mack's Mets Readers

I'm thrilled to be getting some emails from some of you this week, especially since all of my reseach stuff is stuck on my laptop which is living with The Geek Squad this week.

FYI... it simply would be too hard to construct the "Cutnpaste" posts, which are quite popuar here. In it's place, unitl probably Thursdaynight, I would love you all to continue to email me at macksmets@gmail.com with any questions involving either the Mets or the 2010 and 2011 draft.

Here's what I have received so far today:

From Jim C. - "Hey Mack, love the site... do you really think that Josh Thole is a starting catcher for a big market team?"

Mack: - Ya know, THAT's an interesting question. I do believe Josh will hold his own in major league baseball and should have a long and rewarding career as a starting catcher... but that didn't answer your question. Frankly big market teams should have big market players and I grew up in the Roy Campanella, Yogi Berra, Elston Howard, Thurmon Munson, Jerry Grote, and Mike Piazza eras. More important, if you can't have a catcher who can hit a bunch of home runs, at least have someone with the last name of Molina who can throw out runners. I have been very dissapointed at the lack of attention the Mets have given this position since Piazza was sent packing and I don't see any "big-market" solution for it in the near future. Josh knows I'm a big fan of his, and no one wants him to succeed as a Met more than I do, but ask me this question again this time next year.

Gina Met-girl asked: - "I read that article you reccomended in your "The Best Minor League Article Ever Written"... is that what minor league baseball really is like?"

Mack: - Gina, I've never played minor league ball, so I can't tell you first hand, but those I know that have played and have read this article agree that the author managed to describe exactly what it is like. One reminded me today of the "Play It Again" store, across the street from the Holiday Inn, in St. Lucie, where all the minor leaguers used to stay in. Go in there any time of the year, but espcially during the season. You will find a bunch of used Mets equipment being sold from players who sold thier stuff so they could scrounge up enough money for dinner. True story.

Jose Jose asks: - "Mack, you don't seem to have many commnets on your site, but all of them are pretty grown up and professional. Don't you get negative ones?"

Mack: Oh, sure i do, but i take two steps to make sure the final product here is respectful to the reader, the writer, and the team.

One, every comment has to be screened and okay'd by me before it goes up on the site. This way none of us have to go through reading things that don't meet the standards explained in the last paragraph. Frankly, I get very few because most of the bad ones come from people that won't join the site and register a name. That's the other step I take... no comments from anonymous people even are sent to me, no less make the blog.

The other thing I learned over time. I had a real hard time 5-6 years ago in chat rooms. I always was highly sensitive and took every comment personally. I, and with a little help from my doctors, have solved that personality hiccup and this third attempt by me at a Mets blog really isn't blog-like at all. I consider what do a labor of love, but also a true web site of comprehensive information on minor league players, high school seniors, and draft eligible college players, which you, the reader, can visit and reach. It's my research piece that I share with you. Thus, I believe it leads to a higher quality reader and comment maker.

Well... that's the questions I got yesterday. Please send more to:  macksmets@gmail.com.

Mack

No comments: