9/29/10

CUTNPASTE: - Darrell Cecilliani, Beltran To Boston, Willie on Mets, Ike Davis... and Blake Forsythe

Darrell Cecilliani:



9-28-10 from goldstein  - I wouldn’t call him an impact defender, but he can play the position well, and that gives him a huge leg up, as you can’t say that about most minor league center fielders. What he did offensively this year was a very pleasant surprise, and did wonders for his stock. He does need to work on his approach, as he’s a bit of a pitch chaser, and he needs to work on his base running, but he can hit and I like him quite a bit.



Beltran To Boston:


bleacherreport  - Beltran needs the DH spot to play 150 games going forward. He also could use a ballpark that doesn’t have the Grand Canyon in centerfield. I still think Boston is an interesting landing place as the Sox could possible lose Victor Martinez and Adrian Beltre this offseason. There is also the uncertainty of what type of production both David Ortiz and J.D. Drew could provide going forward. I have to believe offense will be a focus of Theo Epstein’s offseason. Would the Red Sox consider dealing Jacoby Ellsbury and Jonathan Papelbon to the Mets for Carlos Beltran? For the Mets they get a speedy outfielder to pair with Angel Pagan. A lineup with Pagan, Reyes, and Ellsbury could wreck havoc on the base paths. It also would allow the Mets to put Pagan in a run producing position since Ellsbury would better be suited to the top of the lineup.

Willie on Mets:
 metsblog  - “We had one really big disappointment, but I think for the most part my staff and I were able to get the team back to a certain respectability or way of playing the game… It’s a tough town, and we raised the expectations real quick here when I was here… We were a victim of our own success… When a manager gets fired there’s always that little window where everyone sees what happened – is the new guy better or worse or whatever. And all of a sudden, after a period of time you can always look at it, ‘Was it the right thing, worth it, did it make a difference?’ But that’s the way it is in sports. In sports, managers and coaches are expendable… Omar and I will always have a certain bond together. I’m eternally grateful for him for giving me the opportunity… I know his family, and Omar’s really a solid baseball man… I’ve told him this before, I’m always rooting for him… I really root hard for them… David Wright and Jose Reyes and Carlos Beltran and those guys, they gave me an opportunity to get one game from going to a World Series. There’s really a soft spot in my heart for those guys. I really root for them to do well.”



Ike Davis:



tedquarters  - Speaking of: Davis’ strong finish has pulled his OPS+ up to 116, just shy of the Major League average 120 for first basemen, and an impressive mark for a 23-year-old with only 55 games above A-ball before the season started. Factor in Davis’ Gold Glove-caliber defense, the likelihood that he’ll improve at the plate as he develops, and the fact that he’s still a couple years away from even hitting arbitration and he looks like a keeper for the Mets. Someone asked me earlier this season if I’d trade Davis in an offseason package for the Brewers’ Prince Fielder, an excellent young hitter a year away from free agency. At the time Davis was slumping badly, but even then I was uncertain — reminding the person that a trade for Fielder would be, in truth, a trade for the right to sign Fielder at market rate.



Blake Forsythe:



9-27-10 from: - amazin  - Quite a disappointing pro debut for the Mets 2010 third round selection (second pick overall). Coming into the draft the big redhead was known for two things, excellent power and lots of strikeouts. Well he did a lot of one, not so much of the other; in a park where home runs were flying out this summer, Forsythe hit just three with a sub-.400 slugging percentage. Meanwhile he featured a mind-boggling 40.5% K-rate, and wayyy too many of them were looking considering he walked just eleven times. Maybe chalk this up to an Ike Davis-like unlucky debut in Brooklyn but considering the kid didn't have a great senior season this spring with Tennessee, I'm already starting to worry that this was a blown pick.

No comments: