9/23/10

Q&A - 3B - Joe Bonfe

Mack: -  Hey folks. We're talking today to one of the big guns in Brooklyn, third baseman Joe Bonfe. Hey Joe. Thanks for joining us. 


 Bonfe: -  Thanks for having me Mack .


Mack: -  I assume you're home... hell of a year, huh Joe? .


Bonfe: - Yeah, just got home today, thanks yeah, I was pleased they way the season ended for me but I wish my team and I could of won the NYPL Championship but we all had great efforts and unfortunately took second place .


Mack: - Hey, championships in the minor leagues are for the brass... personal development is what's happening... and you made it sure happen this year. But, let's first go back to draft day and tell us what it was like to get that call.... .


Bonfe: - One of the best feelings ever, to know that I had the chance to play pro baseball. It's been my dream my whole life to play in the big leagues and getting drafted was the next stepping stone in the process. Me and my family were so excited I was ready to go prove myself at the next level. .


Mack: - Joe, you wasted very little time after signing and wound up hitting .327/.426/.462/.888 for K-Port in 2009. In fact, every time I read something about you, it included incredible hitting stats. You didn't seem to be very affected by the day-to-day grind.... ?


Bonfe: -  I was just excited to be in that situation and I wanted give it my all and prove that I belonged there. It wasn't to big of a transition coming straight from playing in the Northwoods league swinging wood. .


Mack: - Let's spend a few moments on the conversion from metal to wood. What was that like when it happened?


Bonfe: - It wasn't too hard to make the conversion, the power numbers drop a little but as long as you square the ball up you will be fine. You do realize quickly you have get your hands to the inside pitch or your finding a new bat .


Mack: -  Joe, you continued your hitting onslaught this year in Brooklyn, hitting .326 in 270 at bats. So, that was .327 in Kingsport, and .326 in Brooklyn... Slumping, huh? .


Bonfe: -  Ha ha, yeah, well I try not to waste any bats and try to square every ball up and give myself a chance by putting it in play. .


Mack: - Well, it's obvious that you are off to a full season team next spring. Tell us all how you will prepare in the off-season. .


Bonfe: - Well, I will continue to build strength so I can get a little more pop on my swing as well as get more explosive in my first step quickness. Also, I will be doing a lot of agility so I can expand my range in the infield. Also, doing baseball activity 5 times a week. 


Mack: - Joe, I've got a special post this weekend on the over-crowdedness of 3B right now in the system, but I'm sure your bat will separate you from the pack. Good luck in the off-season and I'll see you on the back fields in March

Old Bonfe stuff...

Bonfe was drafted in the 21st round of the 2009 draft.

Prior to draft: http://www.sierra.cc.ca.us/Programs/divisions/HealthPERA/baseball/infielders.html  : Joe is in his first season at Sierra College after playing at Creighton University. After deciding to leave Creighton, Joe had an outstanding summer in the Northwoods League where he played for the Eau Claire Express. He had the fourth best batting average in the league, was selected as an All-Star, and received the Rawlings Big Stick Award. He is a versatile player and can play any position but his primary position is third base. In high school Joe played varsity baseball, hockey, and football.


http://www.sierra.cc.ca.us/Programs/divisions/HealthPERA/baseball/infielders.html  - "Bonfe, an infielder and the Express' biggest power hitter, is a sophomore at Sierra College in California. The 6-foot-4, 220-pounder was batting .360 with one double and five RBIs before Wednesday's game."


http://www.leadertelegram.com/blogs/blog.asp?id=509  - "I'm just happy, excited. I'm thinking about going," said Bonfe, who was the 644th overall pick. "It's exciting and my family's really excited. Everyone's excited. It's an exciting time."


http://www.leadertelegram.com/story-ros.asp?id=BK9D6313KCA  - Bonfe played most of the 2009 season for Kingsport and had impressive stats: .327/.426/.462/.888 in 156 at bats. He received a late promotion to Brooklyn to help the out in the playoffs.


Forecast on 1-1-10:: Zach Lutz remains the top third base prospect, followed by Jenry Marte, who has stalled out and will repeat Savannah in 2010. This has created a four person log jam behind him that have all earned a promotion: Bonfe and Richard Lucas in Brooklyn, and Charlie Hinojosa and Adrian Rodriquez on the GCL team. Come spring, I look for Bonfe to remain in Brooklyn and the more-experienced Lucas to go straight to Lucy.


6-28-10: - Bonfe had three hits in the Cylcones game Sunday, raising his batting average to .333.


7-19-10: - Bonfe continues to play and hit well for the Cyclones this year. On Monday, he went 2-4, whiched raised his yearly batting average to .347 (101-AB, .426-slug, .843-OPS). That currently ranks him 7th in BA in the league. Lately, he’s been playing more DH than 3B, which I hate in the minor leagues.


8-7 from: - http://www.brooklyncyclones.com/news/topstories/index.html?article_id=929  - Bonfe ranks third in the NYPL with a .337 batting average (55-for-163). In 45 games, he has scored 22 runs, hit 10 doubles, two home runs, and has 19 RBI. Bonfe has also stolen seven bases. Joe -- a 22-year-old native of Woodbury, MN -- was the Mets 21st round pick in 2009, out of Sierre College (CA).

9-21-10 - 2011 Forecast:  - Right now, there are bunches of Mets third base prospects, but Bonfe is off to an impressive start with two seasons of .325+ BAs. That will get you a spot in the lineup every day, but the last thing you want to be on a National League minor league team is the DH. He'll be fighting it out with Brian Harrison, Aderlin Rodriquez, and James Schroeder for a full time gig in Savannah... could get interesting.

No comments: