9/27/10

Q&A - C - Nelfi Zapata

Mack:



Good morning folks, we're talking to day with catching Mets catching prospect, Nelfi Zapata. Hola, Nelfi.

Zapata:



Hello, Mack. How’s everything going?



Mack:



Good. Nelfi, you were the 19th round pick in the 2009 draft... let's go back to that special day and tell us what it was like...



Zapata: Oh my God, that was a very special day not only for me as well as my family, I never thought i was gonna get drafted. I always had a goal when I started playing was to get sign or drafted either in the Dominican where I’m from or United Sstates where I grew up , and it did happen here. When i heard my name called in the draft I couldnt believe it I was so happy it was just the best day of my life and couldn’t wait to get started playing and meeting new player from all around the world.



Mack:



Nelfi, you came out of the box pretty quickly last year and, at one point, was leading the organization in hitting. Was there something special going on or was it just a welcomed beginning?



Zapata:



I really don’t have an explanation for my start. I came to play baseball and everything was just falling in. I started good, went through the ups and downs of a baseball player, but i learned from it and finish strong that year, thanks to the coaching staff and my teammates.



Mack:



You played 2010 for Kingport and hit .247/.327/.312/.639 in 186-AB. Did you find the competition was harder at that level?



Zapata:



Yes, it was kind of harder. You see better pitchingwith fastball command and change-ups as their second pitch, but other than that i love playing there because i get to have more experience and get ready for the next step.



Mack:



What are you doing in the off-season to prepare yourself for the next season?



Zapata:



Well, right now im in Instrutional League down in Florida. When I get home I’m going to take some days off, then get back at it, keeping myself in shape. I plan on get stronger and work on my defense as well as my hitting. I’ve got alot of work to do and I’m gonna put in practice to come in better shape for the 2011 season.



Mack:



Well, thank you Nelfi for spending some time with us. I'll see you on the back fields of St. Luci come next March.



Zapata:



Alright see you there Thanks.

Old Nelfi stuff:

Zapata was the Mets' 19th round draft pick, in 2009.

He played 2009 for the GCL Mets: .261/.341/.370/.710 in 119-AB

2010 was a year with Kingsport:  .247/.327/.312/.639 in 186-AB

9-26-10: -  2011 Forecast: Zapata came out like a house in fire in 2008, but like many young catchers, he just can't find enough steady work. Mets teams tend to stack up a bunch of catchers and no one winds up getting into any kind of rhythm. He seems to have come out of Kingsport as the #2 catcher, behind albert Cordero, and there's a good chance both of them will be playing for Savannah come April 1st.

1 comment:

Hobie said...

Mack, if you get the chance, I'd like to know more about Juan Centeno. Saw him in Brooklyn (only one game) but he seemed to have a nice stroke, and was very quick behind the plate blocking pitches in the dirt (OK, maybe too "active"). I know he didn't show any offense in the GCL and is smallish, but still...