9/25/10

Q&A Weekends: - Joe Torre and Wally Backman

Mike and Jill Freire wrote to me: - 



Mack.


I keep hearing that Jerry Manuel's days are numbered, which is a good think in my opinion. With that said, numerous managerial candidates have been discussed, some good, some not so good.



However, Joe Torre's name has barely been mentioned due to the fact that his is 70, a former Yankee (as well as a former Met) and the perception that he is too laid back for the job ahead. I think a "fiery personality" is fine, but you also have to be able to manage successfully, which Torre has done.



How about this scenario? Hire Torre on a two year deal, which would allow him to spend some time back in NY and back with the Mets. It wouldn't be too long, considering the fact that Joe is not getting any younger and he is probably going to want to retire in the near future. However, my only caveat is that Wally Backman gets the bench coaching job.



Wally would get some major league experience under the guidance of one of the all time managers (the major knock on Wally is his lack of major league managerial experience). Wally would then be in perfect position to take the reins in 2013 (probably with a few of his former players in Brooklyn ready to make the jump to the major league roster).



In the short term, Wally would add some "fire" to the dugout and give Torre a student to mentor while the major league team makes the necessary adjustments to become relevant again.



Thanks in advance,


Mike

An absolutely fascinating email.

I never thought before how much someone like Backman could benefit from a year or two under Torre. For one thing, Joe could definitely teach him how to handle the pressure in the Big Apple.

I don't think Joe Torre is a long shot for this job.

I'm old school, so, if I was the owner, I would hire a new GM and then let he or she pick their manager.

Trust me... I don't care what Torre tells anyone. He would give anything to manager again in New York, especially against the Yankees. Imagine that series.

Word I'm getting is that there isn't that much interest in becoming the next GM under the Wilpons. This can strengthen Torre's position.

I'll tell you one thing. David Wright will have a say in this one. The Wilpons want to get someone that the young players will rally around and David represents them well.

No comments: