10/31/10

Pitch Count vs. Conditioning

Steve Smith to me



Mack, do you think Sandy Alderson would ever do what Nolan Ryan is doing in Texas, in trying to get rid of pitch counts? i think it would be great for him to do that. it keeps your bullpen more effective, you have pitchers going deep into games etc.


Before I give you my spin on this issue, let's explain what you mean.

Ryan instituted a policy on the Texas Rangers that banished the use of the pitch count in determining how long a pitcher stays in the game

Now, trust me, there is still someone in that dugout or bullpen still adding up those pitches. If they're not doing it, they can go online and get it instantly from the box score.

Ryan's philosophy here is that, if the pitch count was the criteria when he pitched, he would have been removed after four innings. I don't have the time or desire to research that statement, so we'll just agree with him that he threw a lot of walks and elongated strike outs.

Ryan calls the new approach "establishing out foundation".

Did it work? Well, the team is still playing baseball this weekend.

In my opinion, I think he worded this wrong. I think he should have said that pitch count isn't going to be the only criteria used.

Now, I know for a fact that, if a pitcher gives up six home runs in the first inning, pitch count ain't worth shit.

Also, I know that the last person you should ask whether or not he has thrown too many pitchers is the pitcher themselves. They all lie like a rug.

Will Alderson practice what Ryan does?  I don't see Ryan being that kind of decision maker. Let's first wait and see who is going to be the pitching coach and we'll try and answer that then.

No comments: