10/23/10

Q&A - Lucas Duda and 1B

Mark asked a question after reading "Mack Report: - Robert Carson and the Future of First Base":



I know he played a lot of outfield this year but isn't Lucas Duda a first baseman? How is he defensively at first? After his break out season this year I have heard that scouts are raving about his overall combination of plate discipline and power. I would ask if a way to sure up the offense would be to insert Davis in right and Duda at first but Davis is too slow to play the outfield at the major league level.

Morning, Mark.

Yes, Lucas Duda is a natural first baseman who was moved to the outfield so he could play every day. That move was made in anticipation that Ike Davis would be playing Buffalo for the entire 2010 season. We all know that didn't happen.

I assume the Mets didn't move him back because they now consider him blocked at that position.

You know I've been saying for a couple of years now that his fellow players thought he had the best swing in the organization, and it's great to see that come true. Thank you, Greg Mullens (wherever you are), ex-Met, for being the first to say that.


Michael G. Baron
 The problem with your idea is both Davis and Duda do not translate as an every day major league outfielder. Like most players, you either have it or you don't. I played flawless defense on third base (if I don't say so myself), but completely sucked in the outfield. Davis and Duda don't completely suck, but there's a reason they were both on first.

No, in my opinion, Duda is limited in his role and would be best suited in the American League.

He's one of many interesting situations waiting for new management. September call-ups make fans think their teams have new players, but that's not the case. Most are just being rewarded for a good job done in the minors.

The Mets 2011 outfield will be Jason Bay, Carlos Beltran, and Angel Pagan.

Competing for two back-up slots will be Duda, Nick Evans, Chris Carter, Jesus Feliciano, Fernando Martinez, and Jason Pridie.

Let the games begin.

2 comments:

Flushing Phenom said...

Mack, thanks for the response. I agree that Duda probably should be in American League. As far as your projected 2011 outfield I will be surprised if the Mets don't trade Angel Pagan. He proved he can be a dynamic everyday
player but doesn't project to hit with enough power to play corner outfield position and with Martinez and Nieuwenhuis knocking on the door the Mets have the depth to risk not having Pagan around if Beltran goes down. I really like Pagan and believe he will hit with some more power as he developes but he is not making much money which makes him a prime candidate to be included in a trade for instance for Zack Greinke with he and Duda as the start of the package. I guess Pagan's fate probably rests on whether the new gm believes Beltran can be productive next year. I am actually more concerned that Beltran can still play center more than he will be able to get his stroke back. As far as fourth outfielder is concerned I think that it is going to come from outside organization. May be Endy Chavez if knee has healed.

Mack Ade said...

Mark, I just don't share the same ecitement about either Martinez and Nieuwenhuis. I think we have seen them at their best already.