5/29/11

5-29-11 – Gary Carter, David Einhorn, 2012 Payroll, Q and A w/Chris Schwinden, Aderlin Rodriguez


The news about “The Kid” was horrible. I had a cousin diagnosed (at Slone Kettering) with a malignant inoperable brain tumor 15 years ago. He did the chemotherapy and radiation and I travelled back to NYC to say goodbye to him. The tumor disappeared after the treatment and he lived to dance at his grandson’s wedding. There is always hope.


I read the details on the Einhorn purchase of 33% of the Mets and I see that he has an option to go to 60% after three years. In my book, that makes him a more valuable 2014 prospect than 3B Aderlin Rodriguez.


Look, no one wants to keep Jose Reyes and K-Rod more than me; however, my past business background knows better. The team is losing money and the majority of the Einhorn $200mil will be used to repay loans and lower debt. The current payroll of around $142mil can instantly be cut $58mil if Jose, Frankie, Ollie, Castillo, and Carlos Beltran go off the books. That would actually give some room to over-slot during the draft and maybe even sign a free agent or two in the $5mil/yr. range. As a fan, I hate it, but as a realist, it’s the way to go.


The word from Queens is that SP Chris Schwinden might spot start in the slot normally for R.A. Dickey. For those of you unfamiliar with Chris, here’s a reprint from The Keepers notes:


Selected by New York Mets in 22nd Round (674th overall) of 2008 amateur entry draft.


In 2008, Schwinden went 4-1, 2.01, 14 games, 8 starts, 70Ks, 62.2 IP, only 12 BBs, for Brooklyn.


In 2009, Schwinden became one of the “Savannah 5”, posting a 9-6, 3.28, 1.22 record in 21 games, 17 starts. He also went 1-0, 3.97 for Lucy in the last week of the season.


Forecast written in Jan 2010:: Everybody spent the entire 2009 season bragging on Jeurys Familia and Robert Carson, while Schwinden stayed under the radar. Hey, this is a guy with a lifetime 1.17 WHIP! So far, in two seasons, he’s 14-7, 2.90, 1.17. I’ll take that at any level. We may have ourselves another pitching prospect here.


7-3-10: - Schwinden has had a hard time solidifying himself within the Binghamton rotation, but that might be all in the past after last night’s first game of the doubleheader. Schwinden had a no-hitter after six innings and finished up the 7-inning game with a two hitter. He also struck out five and did not give up a walk.


10-2-10 interview:


Mack: – Hey folks. We’re here this morning with the 22nd round pick in the 2008 draft, starting pitcher Chris Schwinden. Hey Chris, thanks for spending a few minutes with us. First up, are you home or down in Ft. Myers in Instruction Camp? .


Schwinden: – Thanks for having me. I’m back home here in Visalia, CA.


Mack: – I have to ask you the same question I ask all of you… take us back to that classic day you found out you were drafted… what was that all about? .


Schwinden: – I was just sitting at home watching TV, Fish-eyeing my computer every round. Then I saw my name popped up under the Mets. I kind of double-taked for a second and I knew it was for real and I was really excited.


Mack: – Chris, you signed and went straight to Brooklyn, where you went 4-1, 2.01, in 14 games, eight starts. Nore importantly, you had 70-Ks in only 62.2-IP, with only 12-BB. The new grind of rotating every five days didn’t seem to affect you at all….


Schwinden: – Well…Its the same game where ever you go. You have to throw the ball over for strikes and try and get guys out. I was fortunate enough to have a season like Brooklyn. Pitching every five days was some getting used to, but it’s what you do with those extra days to try and get yourself better for the next outing.


Mack: – You said it perfectly. I can’t tell you how many times I have been asked “how do I get to the majors”… if they’re a pitcher, I tell them “well, you first have to throw strikes…”


Anyway, it was on to Savannah in 2009 (9-6, 3.28) and then finishing up with St. Lucie (1-0, 3.97), where you continued to shine in 2010 at (3-0, 1.83)… had you added anything new to your repertoire during this period?


Schwinden: – This past off-season I really wanted to work on my curve. It wasn’t that great in 09. So I really wanted to bring that back into play. This year mark brewer taught me how to throw a cutter and had lots of success with it. So I have another pitch that is going to be fun throwing.


Mack: – Last question… Chris, you’re at that place I call “the point of no return”. Minor league players really have two steps they must take to get to the Bigs…. one, they have to get to the AA level… and two, they have to get past it.


A coach told me once that there are no bad baseball players in AA. You’ve already had a taste of that this past season. Is it true and what are your off-season plans to get ready for your next step? .


Schwinden: – Well… I would say that there are guys that have experience where they have found success in what they have learned and there are some that haven’t found it yet. But they have done something great to get themselves where they are. I’m going to work on the cutter and try to establish that to the best I can get it. Also work on little mechanical problems that I endured over the season and go from there.


Mack: – Great ideas. The cutter turned out to be the difference for Mike Pelfrey. It’s a killer pitch with no predictable outcome. I always called it a fast-knuckler…


5-14-11: - No one seems to be able to give any explanation for what SP Chris Schwinden is doing different at the AAA level. His fastball remains in the 90-92 range, but it especially has good tail motion down and in to right-handed hitters. The changup did raise up last year to the 80-84 range, and he has an average slider (84-86) at best. His last and least used pitch is his overhand curve, in the high-70s. Anyone that has followed Chris’s game knows that the key here is command, and the ability to mix his pitches to his liking. I have to assume at this point that he is currently, as we say, in command.


Yeah, I know. Aderlin Rodriguez has the best bat in the system. Aderlin Rodriguez is leading the organization in home runs. Aderlin Rodriguez is only 11-years old. Well, in my book right now, Aderlin Rodriguez has 17-errors, is playing the wrong position, and barely hitting over .200. If this is the best the Mets have, they better ignore the pitchers come June 6th and draft themselves some bats.


No comments: