6/22/11

Reyes No Talk – Prizzi’s Honor


Jose Reyes announced today that he will not negotiate, with anybody, until the season is over. Not even his current team, the Mets. Nobody. Nada.


Can you possibly know what it is like to play baseball for a living of $11mil a year, be 28-years old, be at the top of your game, and to be… underpaid?


There is no incentive for Reyes to talk to anyone until the season is over. He has an agent and, frankly, he’s not going to be doing any of the talking anyway. The man has ten stories a day written about him and, if you have spent any time with him, you just know he’s eating up all this attention.


And, I don’t mean that in a bad way. He’s carrying a mediocre team into possible playoff contention with a constant smile on his face.


But, what happens if the Mets don’t trade him? The worst case scenario is two additional draft picks of high school kids that probably won’t sign.


There’s no way that the Mets are going to be able to match Carl Crawford money, so it’s draft picks or a trade.


And, if you do match, what do you have? Jose, the same team, and a lot less food in the pantry.


Jose has reduced this to Prizzi’s Honor… “it’s just business”.


I want Reyes a Met until he retires. I also want to keep Carlos Beltran, I want Jason Bay to hit 30/110, I want the old Johan and I want a healthy Wright and Davis.


In an imperfect world (and isn’t being a Met fan always imperfect?) this isn’t going to happen. So, trade Jose for either an everyday outfielder or catcher, plus two AA prospects, preferably a LHP, or hitter with pop. You move Tejada over to short, promote Havens to second and you have a pretty decent 2012 infield plus depth in the system.


Yeah, I know, I keep going back and forth on this trading Jose thing, but this was decision to reduce it to business. I don’t blame him, but don’t blame me either.

2 comments:

Charles said...

Sounds like Sandy thinks Jose isnt a resource you would trade. Its likely loosing him to free agency or draft picks. And I tell you, we' ve watched Jose grow from a teenager to the best player in the national league, and as much as I'd want a trade, realizing he's unaffordable, my heart wants him to have this great, special, wonderful year with the Mets and only the Mets, before he signs elsewhere. But hey, you never know, maybe he and his family really love it here. Maybe he's rich already and 100 million is enough. Maybe...Ya gotta believe...that jose will come through for us one more time. Maybe, I'm an idiot. Yeah, I'm probably just an idiot.

Mack Ade said...

This game is played through the media. Tell the media you have no plans on trading him and your phone will ring with three more offers.

Everybody just sort of believes that Reyes loves being a Met. Maybe he does... now.