10/24/11

Dirty Laundry

"I picked a hell of a day to quit sniffing glue..."  - "Airplane"

I was really excited to get on the blog this morning. Monday was going to be the first day that three other writers would post original material, one after another, starting at 8am EST. I wanted to be up, bright and early, so I could be ready to promote these postings throughout the blogging world.

I also was thrilled that Saturday was the first time, on a Saturday, that the site had received over 1,000 hits without any were assistance of linking to places like www.metsblog.com. It's just not easy getting 1,000 hits on a weekend day, so, I really thought that we were beginning to cross over into a category that could produce some revenue here.

Then, I went to the site and found out that at 4am, the Sitemeter on the site had shut down for some reason. I have contacted them a couple of times and there is now a sporadic listing of a few "hits", but most are missing and assumed lost. I expected today to be a 1,000+ day, and, at last look, I was at 129, less than I had for any day in the existence of this blog.

Isn't my revenue rate and page ranking determined on the hits showed by this site?  Will I have to shit can 800,000+ hits and start over?

Ironically, this comes on the same day that five of us here began the day discussing whether or not we should change the rules for the site and allow "anonymous" comments by people that refuse to register.

I've never liked them because most come from members of other Met blogs that love to write nasty things. I have the blog set up that all comments bust be first cleared by me and, in the past, I have not cleared the majority of the Walking Dead out there.

All of the writers on the site are at least a generation behind me, and it seems that the younger end of the blogging community love to duke it out in the comment sections. I will tell you this...  your "hit" total skyrockets because people keep coming back to see what people said about their comments. Of course, you need to have a fully operational Sitemeter...

So, I did make the changes today and I'm now allowing anonymous comments to hit my screen, for approval. I don't expect a lot at first because I have chased most of these people away. So, far, I got one from someone saying my David Wright piece sucked. I deleted it.

That means my site is getting more hits... none of which are being registered.

If anyone has an explanation to how to solve the Sitemeter mess and if there is someplace else that is still registering my site's numbers, please email me at: macksmets@gmail.com.

13 comments:

SC said...

Sorry to hear that Mack, but you can count on 6-7 hits from my computer daily (at least) - just from me. Keep doing what you're doing because there are plenty of people that enjoy your hard work and insight.

Anonymous said...

Mack, it looks like there is a recommendation to use a couple things other than Sitemeter. Maybe try one of the other trackers he mentions? See the following http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/blogger/thread?tid=10081c35c3c18e02&hl=en

Charles said...

I'm checking in constantly all day, and totally wish more people started commenting. It has certainly increased in the past few months and hopefully it continues to grow. However, it does stink having to wait for approval for your comment to get posted and think thats a problem. For those who have no ill intention and just comment their opinions without trying to cause problems, the approval process isnt necessary, and maybe the answer is to eliminate that and only let those who are registered comment. Chances are, those who register are not here to cause problems.

Mack Ade said...

Anon:

Thak you.

See... I told you anonymous posters are kewl...

Mack Ade said...

Charles:

You may be right.

I'll see if I can change that.

Mack Ade said...

Charles:

done

Charles said...

Great thanks.

Anonymous said...

mack I love your site, I just feel sometimes good content gets lost in the shuffle when you do those 10 pages on top 100 fist baseman prospects...I am a mets fan and don't really care about 100 prospects out of which 2 might be on the mets but sometimes I miss an article on mets prospects and so forth. I was wondering if you would be upto doing what some other blogs do where they start the article with a click here to continue to get the whole article (such as metsblog or thejetsblog). This way you get more articles in to entice in a shorter space.

Mack Ade said...

that's not a bad idea...

the "draft" section of the blog is pretty popular with the high school and college players (and families).

I'll try and figure out how to do that since the list in only in my Word files....

Anonymous said...

This should help you with the Read More/Continue Reading by clicking thing that someone else suggested. http://www.blogger-help.com/2009/09/add-read-morecontinue-reading-feature.html

Mack Ade said...

thanks... I figured it out

I assume you don't mind the long "Keepers" posts because that info is about the Mets player...

Anonymous said...

mack you got me all wrong.. Like every blog there are somethings I enjoy and there are other things other people enjoy.. I am definitely not telling you not to post it.. I think for people who are into it, it really is good stuff.. I am just worried sometimes some of your great content might get lost in the shuffle, and I wouldn't want that because I know you put alot of time and effort into your blog (which I appreciate).. Keep up the good work.. This blog has taken over metsblog for my primary site about mets content... which I think as a blogger about mets is a pretty good complement...

Mack Ade said...

oh no...

I wasn't being critical (it is so hard to read emotion...)

if you check, I figured out how to make a "page" for each and have them on the right side of the front page...

I will use the way you showed me when I update.

Thnaks for the help... anon...