1/24/12

The Keepers - #100 - P - Chason Bradford



100.             Chasen Bradford:

8-14-11: - http://metsmerizedonline.com/2011/08/kingsport-mets-team-report-stretch-run-edition.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MetsMerizedOnline-GetMetsmerized-NewYorkMets+%28Mets+Merized+Online%29&utm_content=Twitter  - Chasen Bradford - Drafted this year in the 35th round, out of Central Florida, the RHP Bradford has gotten off to a quick start in the Kingsport pen. In 28 IP, he has given up 23 hits, only 1 HR, his K/BB is 33/6, opponents are hitting .221 against him. His record is 0-0 and his ERA is 2.22, and in 9 IP since Aug began, he has not allowed a run, given up only 3 hits, and is 11/1 in K/BB ratio.

9-30-11: - Q and A: Mack with… RHRP Chasen Bradford

Mack:  Morning everyone. We're spending some time today with the Mets 35th round pick in the 2011 draft, RHRP Chasen Bradford. Hey Chasen. Are you back home in Nevada?

Bradford:  Yes, I am back home in Las Vegas but I have been making frequent visits to San Diego, California to visit my brother.

Mack:  Yeah, watch out for that speed trap in Barstow... Chasen, you've had a very successful first professional season. What was it like hearing your name on the draft broadcast that day?

Bradford:  It was awesome. It came out of nowhere. I was in my room in Florida cleaning up, getting ready to head back home when my roommate said "Chasen Bradford just got drafted by the New York Mets." First I thought he was kidding because he was already drafted by the Diamondbacks and he is a goofy guy so I didn't know if it was true. But when I look at the Draft Tracker I was shocked.

Mack  Tell us the biggest difference between pitching school ball and the pro grind?

Bradford:  Well I think the difference is that you see more seasoned college guys in pro ball. But when it comes down to it it is still pitching and the hitters will get themselves out. Another difference I have scene is consistency in the umpires strike zone and the hitters abilities to recognize pitches

Mack:  Chase, the word I've got from a scout-friend is you're a strike thrower, you have a decent changeup, and your go-to pitch is the slider?  Accurate?

Bradford:  Yes I've always been able to throw strikes that what I pride myself on. I may not throw 94-95 but I am able to put the ball wherever I want to. My change-up is my got to against lefties along with my two-seam and my slider I use against righties to compliment the two-seams I throw into them.

Mack:  So, we know everyone can look up stats, but let's concentrate on a couple: 33.1-IP, 37-K, 7-BB... Chase, I've learned a few things from the coaches over the years. Recognizing talent is all about OBP for the hitters and K/BB and K/IP ratio for the pitchers. THAT's what gets you to Queens. What are you doing in the off-season to keep it real?

Bradford:  Right now I am sticking to the strength plan that the Mets gave me. Taking a month off for active recover so my body can heal because between college and my first season of pro ball I have been throwing for close to nine months. Although this break has been good, I cannot wait to get back to lifting, running and throwing to get into even better shape for next year.

Mack:  I'm hoping to see you in Savannah come April, but, if it's Brooklyn, you'll love the fans and the food. Is there anything you want to say to the readers out there?

Bradford:  I also hope to be in Savannah but I do hear the atmosphere in Brooklyn is awesome. Either way I am very excited to start my second year with the Mets. I am glad they gave me the opportunity and excited to see what comes of it. I hope to meet some of the readers sometime because I really appreciate the fans and all they do for us as players.

Mack:  Thanks Chase.

No comments: