2/18/12

D1 - Friday Notes


·         #2 South Carolina beat VMI, 2-1, behind LB Dantzler’s RBI single in the 8th inning. Evan Marzilli pitched in, going 3-4. The Gamecocks starter, Michael Roth, pitched well (6.0-IP, 1-ER, 6-K, 0-BB), but left without the win. VMI’s starter, RHP Coby Cargill, was equally impressive (7.0-IP, 0-ER). LB, who went 4-4 in the game, was thrilled: 

“Evan laid down a great bunt to lead off the inning, and Adam followed with another good bunt to move him into scoring position. As I was walking to the plate I figured they were gonna try and get me out in front with some off speed so that first pitch fastball kinda surprised me. Then, I was a little out in front on a change up the next pitch. After that I just had to sit back and use my hands.. I was just trying to hit something hard back up the middle. I knew that with Evans speed, if I got a hit, he would definitely be able to score. Then on 1-2 I got a pitch to hit and was able to put a pretty good swing on it.”

http://www.youtube.com/v/gxbfbxbExNQ?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"> name="allowFullScreen" value="true"> http://www.youtube.com/v/gxbfbxbExNQ?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360">


 Dantzler is a junior college transfer from the Laconia (NH) Muscats, where he was named a  2011 New England Collegiate Baseball League All-Star.

·         This was not a good opening game for #17 Clemson, who was defeated by unranked UAB, 2-1. The Blazers were led by senior RHP Dillon Napolean, who went: 7.0-IP, 1-ER, 4-H. I talked with Dillon after the game and asked him to take us through his opening day outing:



“Just wanted to control the first couple of innings and I let a change-up get out over the plate a bit in the second and they made me pay for it, hitting it off the wall...and that's what good hitters do. Got to settle down and feel comfortable in the 4th. Defense played amazing behind me, and when you feel comfortable with the guys behind you, you tend to throw pitches with more confidence. We take pride in our defense and pitching, knowing our bats will be there as well, but our defense is a definite strength that will keep us in most games.”
      

                                 

·         Michigan State pulled off one of the many top 35 upsets of the day by beating #27 St. John’s, at the Big East/Big 10 Challenge, held in Dunedin, Florida. The Spartans were led by pre-season All-American CF Torsten Boss, who went 3-5, 3-RBI and 1-HR. Boss, a converted first baseman, was thrilled with the team effort: 


“Coming into the game we all new that St. John’s was a good team and we were also going to face a solid pitcher. I knew he was going to challenge us early with his fastball so that is what I was looking for early. Our team had great AB's all night long and Tony Bucciferro had a great outing for us on the mound. This is a huge win for our team and helps us gain confidence that we can compete with the some of the best in the nation”.


·         One of the top candidates for the first pick overall in the 2012 draft is LSU’s RHP Kevin Gausman, who led his 12th ranked Tigers to a 10-2 victory over Air Force. Kevin’s line was: 6.0-IP, 1-R, 4-H, 7-K, 2-BB. We talked to him after the game and asked him if he was happy with his first outing this season:


“I felt pretty good. Arm felt really live tonight. Wasn't happy with my lead-off hitters out ratio, but most were only singles so it didn't come back to hurt me as most the time I got a groundball out next pitch. I was happy with my curveball and it seems to be getting better every day. Overall, I was happy with my outing, but am looking forward to getting back on the bump next weekend and continuing to get better.”

                         
·         Kent State upset #9 Georgia Tech, 5-0, behind the stellar pitching performance by senior LHP, David Starn (8.0-IP, 0-R, 4-H, 9-K, 2-BB). GT’s starter, RHP Buck Farmer did well (6.0-IP, 2-ER, 9-K), but it was Starn’s day to shine.

·         Boston College upset #23 Virginia, 5-3. The Cavalier’s big time relief prospect, Brandon Kline, pitched his first start: 4.0-IP, 5-R, 7-H, 3-K, 2-BB. I had Klein as the 23rd top RHP in the upcoming draft, but that was based on his past relief prowess. It’s probably not a good day to ask him for a comment. Virginia CF Reed Gragnani went 2-3

·         Big time victory by Monmouth, with a 10-2 whipping of Wright State. The hero was simple here…Junior RHP 6-6 Pat Light was spot on: 7.0-IP, 5-H, 1-ER, 6-K, 0-BB. He had complete control of the game and earned a great opening day victory.
I talked to Pat and he walked us through the game:

“Basically, felt really good out there today. A team like wright state is respected and a very good team. I wanted to go out there and pitch off my fastball and that's exactly what I did. Was able to spot my fastball well and because of that my change up and slider were effective. The best news out of all of this is not only did I have no walks but when they hit me it was on mistakes of mine so if I continue to limit my mistakes I should be ok. Can't wait for my start next weekend against branden kline (who happens to be a good friend of mine) and uva. Should be great and feeling good after this start.”

A few more outings like this from the Jersey boy, and we’ll have to keep an eye on him. 

·         South Carolina:

o     Senior outfielder Jake Williams is no longer on the team. It was his decision to leave the team
·         Speed Checks:

o    6-5 RHP Ty Hensley – Edmond H.S. (OK) -  2.0-IP, 3-K, 95
o    Minnesota LHP DJ Snelton – 91-92, 80 change, 76 curve
o    Florida RHP Hudson Randall – 87-88, 76 curve
o    USF RHP Kyle Zimmer – 95-98
o    Oklahoma’s RHP  Damion Magnifico – 95-99, 78-curve
o    Stanford’s RHP Mark Appel – 93-97
o    Georgia Tech RHP Buck Farmer – 93-94
o    St. John’s Matt Carisiti -  93-95, 96
o    Monmouth RHP Pat Light – 91-94, 96, late innings: 87-89, slider 79-81

o    Louisville junior RHP Justin Amlung – 80-82 change, 88-91, 78 curve - #66 n CBD top 100 college prospects… 6-0, 175… Sunday starter as sophomore in 2011: 10-2, 2.31, 15-ST… summer ball with Wareham/Cape Cod: 3-1, 1.76, 7-ST… first outing  (vs. Minnesota) of the season was Friday: 6.0-IP, 2-BB, 3-ER, 6-H.

No comments: