7/24/12

I May Be Wrong, But… Being A Cubs Fan, Snookie, Comments, Ramon Ramirez, American Legion Ball

photo by Christopher Gregory

1.     Being a Cubs fan has got to be the most difficult thing to be in baseball. They really don’t ever want to build anything, do they? They trade Ryan Dempster to Atlanta for a pitcher with a lot of potential, and now they are trying to work out a deal with Dodgers to trade Matt Garza for a pitcher with… a lot of potential. I love a lot of potential. I write about potential for a living, but you have to try to put a team together and keep it intact for, oh, let’s say a five year period. Come on Cubs. 

2.     Snookie sitting in TC’s press seat? You’re 1-8 since the break and you’re letting this fat ass sit in our manager’s chair? Yeah, I know, I just told everyone to stop saying ballplayers and coaches suck. Well, that doesn’t mean non-talent New Jersey people from Staten Island should be getting in the way of grown men doing professional work. Jay, you kidding me? Who is issued the next press pass, the Paterno family? 

3.     Just another reminder. Intelligent comments make or break a site. We get less and less and, ironically, the people who have left the least are my own writers. Hey guys, I love you, but I’d much rather have your thoughts down on a subject on paper than a phone call while I’m trying to write or create 8 posts a day. Thanks. 

4.     I’d like to suggest that the Mets open the DFA gates with one, Ramon Ramirez. He’s being paid $2,650,000 this year. Write him a check for what you owe him and send him on his way. It really doesn’t matter what his stats were. He was a mistake and his roster slot should be filled by C.J. Nitkowski, just for the hell of it. The season’s over so why not give C.J. a proper exit from the sport he loves. If it was good enough for Izzy last year, do one for C.J. 

5.     I received a stinging email: 

“Hope all is well. Gotta lay off the Nimmo hate. He clearly was a stud throughout the showcase circuit. Who cares if he didn't play high school baseball. High school baseball is the most overrated entity in all of US baseball. Just because he never played a HS game doesn't mean he didn't earn the right to be a first round draft pick. Guys don't get drafted based off their Archbishop Molloy spring season stats, they get drafted because of their performances at these Perfect Game performances with the Bayside Yankees and other top notch programs. Just my own thoughts...” 

This person is missing the point. I am not bashing Brandon Nimmo. I am bashing an organization that allows a person (Chad Thompson) to make this pick. You simply can’t add this kind of risk on a first rounder. It’s hard enough drafting a high school player, but someone that never played at levels other than short season leagues? I’m sorry. I don’t agree. I’d take Jed Bradley in a heartbeat, even with his current high ERA.

No comments: