8/15/12

Stuff – Adam Kolarek, Tampon, Formatting, September Call-Ups, October DFAs


Adam Kolarek
Adam had a wonderful season with St. Lucie (A+  36-G, 1-1, 1.65, 49.0-IP, 9-ER, 63-K, 15-BB) and was rightfully promoted to AA-Binghamton. The problem is it’s not working out at that critical level where the men are separated by the boys. His first six games have gone as follows: AA   6-G, 2-0, 5.68, 6.1-IP, 4-ER, 8-K, 4-BB and, for reasons so far needing no explanation, he was returned to Florida to get ready for the playoffs. I have Kolarek on my ‘blue’ list (‘A’ are top prospects, ‘B’are players I project will make majaor league baseball at some level), and could someday turn into an ‘A’ pen member. He’s particularly good at striking out people, something you like in, well, a pitcher. J The stats stunk at AA, but I still see this as a confidence booster to eventually pitch for St. Lucie in the playoffs.
Tampon
Well, the reaction to my Mets ownership diatribe was interesting. Two readers, ‘Billy Bob’ and ‘Matt’ chose to call me out, one professionally (BB) and the other, not (Matt). I’m sure Matty thought I would erase what he said, but, what the hell. If I’m going to take on a sharper edge here at MMs, I might as well let the readers do too.
I hope everybody got the point of my post. I don’t want any of the top Mets minor leaguers to eventually sign with other teams. I just want Tampon and his tribe to leave Dodge, and, frankly, the only way it may happen is league intervention.
There are two roads to go down here. The first would be a bankruptcy, which is a possibility if both the economy and team operation remain on the same path. The other would be the voluntary exiting of key people like David Wright, RA Dickey, Sandy Alderson, and Paul DePodesa. If top players don’t want to play here, and competent front office people don’t want to remain holding the fort down, the league will have to step in and deal with what has developed.
The media market of New York City is tantamount to the success of baseball, and lack of ticket sales, advertising revenue, merchandising revenue, and network ratings will, in the long run, determine who owns this team.
It amazes me that some people actually invested $250mil this year to own a part of a business that is currently losing over $30mil a year, and is projected to do worse in 2013. I understand long range book value, but, come on people. You have to really have some ‘disposable’ income for this deal.

MMs Format
We’re changing again.

For now, we are cutting back to four (4) posts per day. All are EST.
The 12:01am will continue to be the ‘2013 Draft’ updates on key players at the high school and college level that are eligible for the 2013 draft.
The 8:01am will continue to be the ‘Minor League Report” that I write and compile each day.
The 12noon report will be any posts by the other writers on the site.
The 4:00pm will be an additional post by me, either ‘Stuff’ or “I May Be Wrong, But’. It will be what’s in my mind at the time I wrote it.
We do ask that the other writers step it up so we can have more than just my thoughts on the site.
The minor league press releases have been discontinued; however, key information from the ones received from the teams will be encompassed into the ‘Minor League Report’ each morning.
We will continue to post any breaking news, but we will no longer use the word ‘Flash’ or tease with the headlines.
I’m asking all the MMs writers to send me an updated picture of themselves that we can use on each of their posts. This would replace the opening avatar.
In closing, we are out of the ‘hit’ business, and returning the site to a more conventional newspaper format. We hope you enjoy it.
September Call-Ups
There are all guesses at this point, though I did make some calls and have some decent educated opinions here.
Look for:
P – Jeurys Famila, Jenrry Mejia, Collin McHugh, Robert Carson
IF – Lucas Duda (probably earlier), Zach Lutz
OF – Fred Lewis, Matt Tuiasosopo
C – Lucas May

October DFA’s
Look for the following players to be released in October:
P – Ramon Rodriquez, C.J. Nitkowski, Fernando Cabrera, Daniel Herrera, Pedro Beato, Chuck James, Jack Egbert, Dylan Owen
IF -   Val Pascuchi, Oswaldo Navarro, Sean Kazmar, Brad Emaus, Corey Wimberly, Russ Adams
C -   Jean Luc Blacquiere, Francisco Pena
OF – Adam Loewen

No comments: