10/21/12

10-21-12 – Post Schedule, First Big Trade, Wright-Dickey Options, Dustin Lawley, Jordany Valdespin


The comments portion of the site is fixed. 

For now, I will have a daily morning post regarding my thoughts on the Mets. I will add additional posts of any questions are emailed to me (macksmets@gmail.com). Lastly, I will add my draft posts and like them to my work at www.bigleaguefutures.com 

Wally Murphy and Reese Kaplan returns as a Mack’s Mets writers. Wally will begin his 9th year of attending all Savannah Sand Gnats home games and he will post the results of these the following morning. Reese will write whenever he has the time from a busy international schedule. Welcome back, Wally and Reese. 

Natalie DiDonato joins us as a new Mack’s Mets writer. As she said in here email to me: “As a follower of your Blog for two years, I am happy to hear you're better and welcome the return of the site. I am a 61 year old Mets fan since 1965. Prior to then, I was a Yankee fan. If you ever decide to hear from others about why thy made that switch, that would make for an interesting topic. I would love to give you a few paragraphs about the switch. Hang in there and keep on truckin!” 

The first big trade is done. The Miami Marlins, who seem to try and turn over their team every season has shipped off ex-Met RP Heath Bell (3-yr/$27mil… Marlins will pay $8mil future) to Arizona. The Diamondbacks also received IF Chris Pennington in this three-team deal, and then traded OF Chris Young to Oakland, who sent (still with me?) sort-of prospect IF Yordy Cabrera to Florida. I guess Florida is trying to clear payroll, the exact opposite they did last off-season. Bell was a big bust and needs to get out of new-Havana. Florida winds up paying $19-mil for one bad season, but does save money in the long run. Cabrera will play 2013 as a 22-year old and hasn’t risen above A+. Lifetime .230 hitter. Hoo-rah. What does this mean for the Mets? Well, Oakland now has three centerfielders and you have to think that Coco Crisp just became expendable (starting outfield looks to be Yoenis Cespedes, Young and Reddick). 

I’ve done a lot of thinking about the whole Wright-Dickey resigning and, no matter how I spin this, it comes out only one way in my head. Forget the option year. If the Mets aren’t successful in getting either of these guys signed to a new long term deal before the season starts, it’s time to cut fish. I love these guys and I want to build the 2014 team around them, but, it’s a business first, and if either player approaches this negotiation as an opportunity to pad their pockets elsewhere, Sandy Alderson needs to turn this into as much of a positive as he can. Wilmer Flores in no John Kennedy, but he will hold his own at third base in 2014 and just may hit more home runs that Wright would have. Zack Wheeler, Matt Harvey, Jon Niese, and Dillon Gee is not a bad rotation going into the season before we even know the players the Mets would get in these deals. My guess there would be a minimum of four excellent players and I’d bet money at least one players is an outfielder (probably two), another was a top prospect starter, and probably a catcher. I can’t believe I just wrote this.   




 

3B Dustin Lawley continued to impress in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) He singled in two more runs in the first inning of Saturday’s game, raising his batting average to .304. It seems to me that Lawley is cementing a starting role in St. Lucie come spring 2013 and we can’t forget that has still played more games in the outfield than on third. He showed great power (14-HR, 66-HR), though most came outside the confines of the dead trap known as Grayson Stadium. Me? I’d put him back in left field post haste.  

 
 
“2B” Jordany Valdespin continues to play in the outfield in the Dominican Fall League and went into Saturday night’s game at a .417/.563/.667/1.229 clip. The sample is small (12-AB), but the start is impressive. I’ve never been sure how much the Mets control what position a player plays in fall and winter leagues. My guess is they have some say in Arizona but start to lose it as soon as a player flies to another country. Either way, Valdespin’s future with the Mets looks to be a 2013 utility player, spelling Daniel Murphy and Ruben Tejada in the infield and being the 5th guy in the outfield.

3 comments:

Charles said...

My attempts at signing David and Dickey would be half hearted at best. Wheeler for a two month rental? That's a great trade, imagine what Wright and RA gets you. I'dich rather have the prospects and the extra salary to spend in 2014.

As you said, the starters are already looking good, maybe they get another good arm to slot in at number 5. This makes about 4 other arms available that would have been ready by then, and now you can pick your pitchers and deal some more, always knowing there's plenty of cash to fill the voids.

I believe that if this team had a stronger roster, Jordany would have been traded by now. His approach to hitting is the exact opposite of what the Mets believe in and his attitude doesn't match his skill level. That being said, he's got some value in a package I'm sure.

Good to have you back, Mack.

Mack Ade said...

Valdespin probably would be traded on work ethic and attitute along, but the team needs his versatility right now.

I want 2014 to be a big year and it gets there easier if both Wright and Dickey are on the team, bt the process demands that this is done before the season ends. You let this drag into 2013 and anything can happen, include bad years from both of them.

And my estimate of four players in return is conservative at best.

Hey Charles, should we start up 'The War Romm' again next Sunday? It just may be the two of us for awhile... let me know.

Anonymous said...

Man i hope they´ll trade and get at least 2 top prospects.