10/25/12

Draft 2013 - Q and A - OF - Austin Wilson – Stanford


Draft 2013 - Q and A - OF - Austin Wilson – Stanford 


Mack – I’m honored to be conducting this interview. We’re talking with the best outfielder in college baseball today, Stanford’s own Austin Wilson. Welcome home Austin. Are you done with all the travelling now?


Austin - Thank you very much.  I am finally done traveling now and am looking forward to having a productive fall with school and baseball. Stanford is on the quarter system so we start later than the colleges who are on semesters.


Mack – I want to take you back to where I ask all the guys I interview. Go back to that first day someone put either a bat, ball, or glove in your hands and take us through the steps that got you to where you are today.


Austin - Ha.  Wow.  I was very young when someone first but a bat or ball in my hand. From the initial start, the journey I am still going on requires facets of diligence and hard work. My parents taught me a life lesson that success comes with hard work behind it. A book that I read when I was around 12 or 13 was the John Wooden book regarding the pyramid of success. Baseball is a sport where failure is eminent and there is no way around it, but it’s how you carry yourself and learn from the mistakes that makes you a better a player. I am at a point in my career where I am starting to finally click things together in terms of my swing and using my power. I have worked on my defense a lot over the years and personally believe that I have improved on that front. The aspects of my game that have improved are all a product of intentness, work ethic and being able to handle adversity.


MLBDC - As a freshman, Wilson performed incredibly well, hitting .311 with five homers and 30 RBI. Poised for a major breakthrough as a sophomore, Wilson endured the same growing pains that befell Diekroeger. His average dropped to .283. Fortunately, he was plenty good in other departments. He drew 24 walks, was hit by a team-high 15 pitches and managed to have an OBP of nearly .400, despite his paltry average. He showed greater discipline at the plate, cutting down on his strikeouts. At 6’5” and 245 pounds, Wilson resembles Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton. While he doesn’t have Stanton’s power, he could prove to be every bit as valuable a talent if he can reach his ceiling.


Mack – It sounds like you’re also at the point in your life that your head is on straight (good job Mom and Dad… J). Austin, we can always do better right? What are you working on in the off-season that will hopefully translate to the stat line this year?


Austin - I would say the biggest thing for me is making sure my bat path to the ball is short and quick. When I had successful games this summer in the Cape Cod league, I was able to get my bat through the zone with a path that wasn't long. This translated to me being able to drive the ball more and generate power.


2009- PG - Austin Wilson is a 2010 OF with a 6'4'', 200 lb. frame from Los Angeles, CA who attends Harvard Westlake HS. Impressive physical athletic speciman, Andre Dawson build, huge strength potential. Good swing, simple approach, stays short for size, shows plus bat speed at times, definite serious power potential, ball jumps off bat hard. Big time RF tools, long release but huge arm strength, 98 mph in drills, 6.76 runner with good range. Scores high in make up and character department. Early draft prospect. Excellent student. Aflac All-American.


Mack – Remember Austin… it’s bat speed, follow through, and the angle your bat hits the ball. Golf and baseball… it’s all the same. There’s so many people that can’t seem to figure out it’s the follow through coupled with the leg strength that makes that turn and gets that ball to the fence. Anyway, by now you probably have figured out they’re going to pitch around you more every game. Got any tricks up your sleeves?


Austin - I wouldn't say I have any tricks, I just have to be patient and not chase bad pitches. Last year I walked a lot more as a product of being more selective and my eye is continuing to improve. 


2010-FR - Wilson not only has tremendous tools — his raw power being the best of them — he has the work ethic and character to maximize those tools. still a little bit raw, he does need to improve his overall hitting skills so he’ll be able to consistently tap into that power at the next level.


Mack – ‘Future Redbirds’ said about you in 2010: “He’s a sponge who soaks up information, so most feel he’ll do just fine down the road.” Of course, they were right, but I can’t tell you how hard it is to get players to understand that the game never ends. Has attend a great school like Harvard-Westlake made things easier for you as you were maturing?


Austin - Harvard Westlake was very rigorous academically, so it prepared me for Stanford on that front. It taught me how to manage my time productively because baseball was time consuming as well.  Harvard Westlake definitely made the transition easier from high school to college.


Mack – Austin, I’m going to throw in a couple of old scouting reports on this piece and a YouTube video. I ask you to stay in touch throughout the season (let me know I should be interviewing anyone else on your team to help them get to their goals) and I’ll be back in touch with you mid-season for an update. In closing, is there anything you want to add?


Austin - Thank you for having me!   Look forward to hearing from you soon!

1 comment:

Evelyn Hughes said...

Career Opportunities - Northern Michigan Regional Hospital. Health System Map; Beaver Island Rural Health Center; Boulder Park Terrace; Community Free Clinc; Foundation; Helen Devos Childrens Hospital; Hospice of Little. Michigan Works! Kent & Allegan Counties - Employers, Job Seekers. Michigan Works! Kent & Allegan Counties is the region?s most comprehensive workforce. sure that employers have the workers they need, and workers have the jobs. Vassar, MI Jobs & Careers. Find Jobs in Vassar, MI | Monster.com. Explore +1,000 jobs in Vassar, MI from entry level to management roles. Browse by industry and job title. Find the right position and build a career.