7/12/13

Q and A with Mack and… The University of Washington State OF Yale Rosen


Mack - Okay... today, we're talking with the Washington State (23-32) Cougars outfielder, Yale Rosen, who's playing Cape Cod ball this summer. I still remember the exact spot there I met my wife in 1970. Isn't that a great town to play summer ball?

Yale- Cotuit has been a blessing to me ever since I have arrived on the Cape. I have been able to be around great coaches and players that love the game as much as I do, and also strive to get better at their game every day. To be in an environment and an opportunity such as this one, allows for me as an individual to push myself to limits that I have never seen before.

Mack - Take us back to the day someone put a baseball in your hand and it felt right. Then, take us through the steps that you have taken to get to where you are today.

Yale- Since I was a kid playing little league, baseball has always been my biggest passion in the sports world. There has never been a point in my life that I can remember where going to the field was a struggle for me. That has been the main difference between baseball and all of the other sports that I have played throughout my life. My journey to where I am now has been a battle. I come from a small town in Washington that nobody really knows about, and scouts/coaches don't make the trip to come see players that far up north. It wasn't until I got the opportunity to play summer baseball in Seattle after my senior year of high school, that allowed for me to put my name on the map and earn  a scholarship to Washington State University. From there, I had a very tough freshman year, and struggled to catch up to college baseball. The summer after my freshman year is where everything seemed to click as I became more comfortable in a college baseball environment, and had the chance to play everyday. Now I find myself at the premier summer baseball league, and it goes to show that a lot of hard work can pay off.

Mack - Who and why are the people that have influenced your game the most over the years?

Yale- The people that have most influenced my game, were the coaches of Taylor Baseball, the team that I played for in Seattle after my Senior year. Scott Fairbanks and Brad Ditter pushed me and proved to me what type of baseball player I could become, especially coming from such an isolated area, to playing in Seattle's high school "premier" league. They allowed for me to reach my highest potential at that time, and never gave up on me when I became frustrated in my play. They taught me how to become a leader, and help others around me to succeed as well, not just myself.

Mack -   What do you have scheduled this summer or are you taking the time off?

Yale- My only plans for the summer is play baseball in the Cape.

Mack - Are you working on anything new for the most important season of your baseball life?

Yale- I am not working on anything new this year. What I am doing, is polishing my skills in every part of my play, to reach my highest potential as a player.

Mack -  Anything special you want to say to your fans and the readers out here on Big League Futures?

Yale- Thank you to all of those who have followed my journey throughout my career thus far in baseball, it means a lot to know that I have support from fans around the country. I would also like to say; Don't give up on your dreams, you never know who may be at your game or watching you. First impressions last forever, so work hard every day, and anything is possible.

No comments: