7/9/13

The War Room – The 40-Man



From Derek McKnight  -

Hey Mack. I always enjoyed reading the weekly ‘War Room’ back and forth between yourself and the other writers even though I didn't participate other than reading. Since the trade deadline is coming up and you have posted and commented several times the Mets will not be major players. I'm interested in, if it’s not too difficult, to see what current Met players in the majors and minors need to be on the 40 man roster next year.
I would be interested in reading yours and the other writers opinions on who should stay and who should go, and if they are going (example Satin and Lutz) then should they be traded for talent that can go into the system that does not have to be 40 protected, and who that might be.
I know we are not talking about a Cahoon or Schwinden, but maybe a Dykstra or Matz who have value as a prospect or have potential in the future but might need protecting now.
If not interesting or too difficult I understand.
Thanks for all your hard work, I always enjoy reading you. If you ever get up to north end of the SC coast let me know. We have really good college and Texas minor league baseball here.

Mack Ade
 
Well, guys, the first thing I’m going to do is take the current 40-man, take off the guys I think will be gone next year, and come up with a base list to work with (for all of us).
This is; however, who I think will still be on it:
Total - 28
Pitchers (13):
Scott Atchison, Greg Burke, Josh Edgin, Jeurys Familia, Dillon Gee, Matt Harvey, Jeremy Hefner, Jenrry Mejia, Jon Niese, Bobby Parnell, Scott Rice, Carlos Torres, Zack Wheeler
Catchers (2):
Travis d’Arnaud, Anthony Recker
Infielders (7):
Ike Davis, Wilmer Flores, Daniel Murphy, Josh Satin, Ruben Tejada, Justin Turner, David Wright
Outfielders (6):
Andrew Brown, Lucas Duda, Juan Lagares, Kirk Nieuwenhuis, Cesar Puello, Eric Young Jr.


From Conrad Youngren -


Hmmm… next year’s 40-man.  Need to make some artificial boundaries so let’s say 20 pitchers, 3 catchers, 10 infielders & 7 outfielders.  Any specific trade speculation makes the exercise boundless as well.

At 2: Besides TDA, I’d keep the under-appreciated Juan Centeno plus, for the time-being Recker.  I can imagine a FA vet being signed in the off-season though.

 At 3 thru 6: I see 3 guys wearing the same suit (Murphy, Satin & Flores), corner INF who could get by at 2B, can hit, & have some gap power plus 2 more (Duda & Ike) who have obvious power potential, but are really only serviceable at 1B.  I could see two of the above going in (a) trade(s), but have no idea which 2 and would be (pleasantly) surprised if it were before the 40-man deadline of the Rule 5 draft.  If they’re still around, I protect them all, Wright obviously, and probably both Q and Reuben.  That’s 8 leaving 2 openings for Turner, Tovar, Lutz, plus Dykstra & Munro whom I believe become Rule 5 eligible this fall.  I’d prefer not to lose Dykstra or Munro via the draft route—trades are another thing altogether, but I prefer targeting a specific player and begrudgingly giving over the “what will you give me for ….” strategy which begs a low-ball response.

7 thru 9: I want to hang on to Byrd, Young & Puello (each for different reasons) unless bowled over. That leaves 4 from the rest of the current posse (Legares, Kirk, Baxter, Brown & Valdy in descending order) plus, if they are Rule 5 eligible Vaughn & Ceciliani   In that case, I slip Vaughn in ahead of Brown.

20 pitchers requires more thought than I can muster right now (and I need to know more about who’s Rule 5 fodder).

Hobie


Editor's Note - I had hoped for more participation from this... maybe it will happen in the comments section.








8 comments:

jonah said...

Anybody knows who is Rule 5 eligible this winter?

Dan B said...

I can see 1 of Turner or Satin on the team but not both.

Also I can only see 2 of Flores, Duda, Davis and Murphy on the team. I'm not convinced Flores can handle starting at 2nd. If he did Murph would be easier to trade. I could see Flores possible playing at 1st but I don't they're reaady to give up on Ike quite yet unless he tanks the rest of the year. Assuming Ike has a good second half and Murph picks his offensive pace up a bit I still see them keeping Murph and Davis and trying to trade Duda and Flores.

I thinks TDA, Centeno, Recker is a good crop of catchers,

Outfield wise I would project, Eric Young Jr, Juan Lagares and Puello left to right as my starters from this group assuming we don't get a FA OF signed. I'd put Baxter back on this list for use as a 4th outfielder and see if I could flip Kirk for a a useful if flawed prospect or a younger prospect. I just don't think the guy will ever hit enough.

Mack Ade said...

Next winter’s Rule 5 eligible list has some interesting anmes on it. Among them are Noah Syndergaard, Rafael Montero, Domingo Tapia, Cory Mazzoni, Luis Mateo, Jack Leathersich, Gabriel Ynoa, Rainy Lara, Logan Verrett, and Travis Taijeron

Hobie said...

I see now that Taijeron & Lawley become Rule 5 fodder but Vaughn & Dykstra don't . (Dykstra a surprise there). So I'll amend my no-trade-considered list to include the two at risk.

Mack Ade said...

that's quite a list of players...

Hobie said...

OK, I have 20 slots left for pitching.

From the current 40-man:
SP--Harvey Wheeler Niese Gee Hefner
BP--Parnell Edgin Mejia Familia Rice Torres...and Aardsma(!)

From the R5 eligible:
Syndergaard Montero Leather (who would be most likely to be snapped up)
Morris Lara Ynoa Tapia (who I just don't want to take the chance of losing)
and Mazzoni (who someone might be more willing to keep than, say, Mateo or Verrett who I would also like to keep)

jonah said...

Mack, are you sure the 2011 draft class is Rule 5 eligible this winter? I thought that 3 years after the draft players become eligible. Players younger then 19 4 years after the draft. That's the reason Matz is still not on the 40 man roster.

Mack Ade said...

Jonah, I'm never sure of everything but the guy is supplied this list to me is usually a great source of Mets info and it was confirmed by Tejesh over at Mets Prospect Hub... so, I don't know..