3/24/14

Mack - Q and A - Loopy Questions



John Loopy asked –

       Hey Mack, firstly, I noticed that you commented on an article by Dave Groveman on Mets 360 regarding what we can expect or look forward to on the farm this year. I agree that it was a good read.
       I'd like to get your thoughts on what you expect from the farm. Where you think high level prospects will start and where they might finish the season or start 2015 if all goes well.

               Mack – G’day John.

       The March 31st assignments are still not handed out, so this is all still guesswork (I talked today to one of the players I am talking about right here and he told me he has no idea where he’s going yet).

       Here’s my list of ‘high level prospects’ and where I have them starting and ending the season:

               SP Noah Syndergaard – Las Vegas rotation/ NYM Rotation
               SP Rafael Montero – Las Vegas rotation/NYM rotation
               SP Jenrry Mejia – Las Vegas rotation/NYM pen
               SP Jacob deGrom – Las Vegas rotation/Las Vegas rotation
               RP Jeffrey Walters – Binghamton pen/NYM pen
               SP Cory Mazzoni – Las Vegas rotation/Las Vegas rotation
               RF Cesar Puello – Las Vegas outfield/NYM outfield
               OF Dustin Lawley – Binghamton outfield/Las Vegas outfield
               C Kevin Plawecki – Binghamton catcher/September NYM call-up
              
Secondly, in the same article, it was mentioned that Dilson Herrera could be moved back to SS. What are your thoughts on this? What impact do you see this having on the prospect pipeline and our ability or willingness to acquire or trade for a new SS?

Mack – Herrera has worked out this spring at both second base and shortstop; however, I will believe he’s a shortstop when I see it. I will say this… as a 19-year old, he had 442 at-bats last year at the A-level, so the assumption is he will move on to St. Lucie… however… LJ Mazzilli (.278) played Brooklyn last year and he will be 23 this season. Who do you send to St. Lucie?

My guess is the Mets will look elsewhere to solve their future shortstop needs.

Finally, your thoughts on acquiring players via FA v trade. I can't see that we are in a position to be trading prospects just yet. Our main currency is pitching and Kevin Plawecki. We've seen over and over again the volatility of young pitching and I can see that we could even think about trading Plawecki until d'Arnaud proves himself.

Mack – First, and most important, the Mets need to finish putting all the pieces together for their own rotation, which will lead them into the future. Barring any additional injuries, Matt Harvey, Zack Wheeler, and Syndergaard could turn out to be the most talented SP1-2-3 in the game.

My ‘4 and 5’ would be Montero and Mejia. I don’t think Colon and deGrom will be around next year.

Regarding other positions, the Mets don’t currently have a new shortstop because of the demands of the other team. You have to give up a quality player if you want one in return.
Again, build your rotation… then, use the excess starters with major league experience as well as the remaining top AAA/AA pitching prospects to get the position players you desire.

If that doesn’t work, call the boss and ask him to give you the checkbook when free agency comes around. The 2014 Mets wouldn’t be in this mess if they signed that shortstop  that spells ‘Johnny’ wrong and the first baseman from the Red Sox.

13 comments:

Dan B said...

Mack, do you think Gee might end up a trade chip this winter? He's been a great Met but with all the other pitchers coming up we could trade 2 years of his arbitration to a team that needs a quality SP.

Anonymous said...

@Dan

He is one of the people I have slated to be traded this July when Syndergaard is ready.

I also have Matsu being traded in July when Montero comes up.

Reese Kaplan said...

Why is it automatically assumed Mejia should be in the pen instead of the rotation?

Michi L. said...

Off topic but did anyone saw a cechinni pic from this spring? Looks like he added 20 pounds. Mack did you hear anything about him?

Anonymous said...

@Reese

I actually doubt Mejia will be in the pen.....Front Office has been debating it but the consensus is that he will go to AAA instead with Valverde taking the last spot in the pen.

Mack Ade said...

Daniel -

In fact, I do... and I would have structured a Niese like deal first

Mack Ade said...

Reese -

Nothing I say is automatic.

It's my opinion and, in this case, a matter of mathematics and whether or not others stay healthy

Mack Ade said...

Michi -

To be honest, nobody talks much about him anymore...

Mack Ade said...

Chris -

I didn't say Mejia would start the season in the Mets pen... I said IMO he would end up there at the end of the year

Tom Brennan said...

After today, Black in Vegas and Mejia in pen. They need to hold down Mejia innings. He is too good for AAA. Presto...pen

Mack Ade said...

My guess is Gonzalez Germen will replace Rickey...

djmurphy said...

aaa should use a 6 man rotation so when these guys get called up there not at there innings limit.

Mack Ade said...

I would venture to guess Syndergaard, Mejia, Montero, deGrom, Mazzoni, and Verrett... could be the best in AAA baseball

There won't be a seat behind home plate available (scouts) all season