1/17/15

Mack - 2015 Prospect List - #20 – RHRP Paul Sewald



My rankings is solely subjective and based on nothing more than what is in my head at time I’m writing this. I’ve followed the Mets minor league players for many years and I feel I can recognize talent at various levels of their development. What I have failed at is how to determine when this talent seems to diminish. It’s amazing how many first round picks never make it in this game.

I’m old school, so you won’t seem much SABR-discussion here, I do research and, when I find a good quote or two, I’ll add them to my analysis, but, like I said in the beginning of this post, most of this us subjective.

Let’s get started


#20 – RHRP Paul Sewald – 24/years old – R/R – 6-2, 190 – Univ. of San Diego

            Drafted in 10th round of the 2012 draft – signing bonus: $1,000.00

                        2012 –  16-appearances, 1.88, 0.98, 28.2-IP, 35-K, 2-BB

                        2013 –  35-appearances, 1.77, 0.98, 56-IP, 67-K, 7-BB

                        2014 -  2 teams – 43-appearances – 1.92, 1.07, 56.1-IP, 69-K, 19-BB

                        Career – 94-appearances, 1.85, 1.01, 141-IP, 171-K, 28-BB


On paper, this is a strange find.

Seward had horrible pitching stats throughout his college career and only began to turn out decent numbers in when he turned starter in his senior year. The Mets needed to sign a few seniors to keep within bonus pool allotment and Sewald agreed to a $1,000 bonus.

And then there was magic.

Go back to the beginning of this and re-read the stats generated in his first three years as a professional pitcher. It would be hard for you to find anyone that has produced these kind of numbers with basically no other reputation other than the fact he tops out at 91 and can hit good.

Outlook –

Let’s remember… Sewald arrived to the Mets old (I hate college seniors).

I loved watching this guy play in Savannah and, because of his age, I probably saw the max velocity (89-91) he will generate over his career. Simply put, Sewald makes batters miss balls and I think he will get a shot sometime in 2015 if injuries create an opening.
He’s not the highest ranked reliever on my list, but it’s my guess he’s be the first one to get to the dance.


A thousand bucks.

2 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

$1,000, the price of training in Florida. Amazing story. He did get hit in AFL, but struck out something like 18 in 11 innings there. He may be a throwback to another time...a non flamethrower who can PITCH.
Another dude i am anxious to see progress in 2015.

Anonymous said...

Where is S/S wifredo Tovar,good glove for a back-up s/s ?