11/16/16

Tom Brennan - IT'S A COREY, COREY STORY

Tom Brennan - IT'S A COREY, COREY STORY

Halloween and gory stories may have come and gone, but yesterday was a COREY, COREY story for off season league Mets fans.

COREY Oswald is having a fine AFL stint, and is 4-1, ERA slightly above 3.00 after yesterday's fine 5 inning, 1 run outing. I've always thought he has allowed too many baserunners, but he has been mostly impressive in Arizona.  Surely ownership is noticing. 

The big 23 year old righty has started 7 games, following an injury-shortened, but effective, season for St Lucie.  Oswald is a AA rotation piece in 2017, no doubt.

COREY Taylor has been a fine lefty reliever in the Mets organization, and yesterday followed the other COREY with a dominant 2 scoreless innings, striking out 4.  He now has struck out 17 while walking just one.  Stingy, stingy.  

I think a key thing to look for in any future major leaguer is: Can they dominate?  Taylor, in his last 4 games spanning 7.2 innings, has allowed 1 run, just 5 runners, and fanned a dominant 13.  And a career ERA in 2015 and 2016 of 1.75.  On the radar screen for sure.

Two fine COREY stories.

Tim Tebow: I never do an off season post without an update.  Tim laced his 3rd double, raising his average to .190 despite his 2 for 24 start.  He has hit in 8 of his last 10 games, with 3 walks and just 9 Ks over that span.  To me, the Overachiever is overachieving.  How about adding a homer, Tim?  You're an overachiever, remember?  I do.

2 comments:

Ernest Dove said...

I liked corey oswalt when I saw him pitch last year.
I guess, I right or wrong, i group him with Dillon Gee type pitchers who work extremely hard to get outs so pitch count as a starter can be a concern. Like a strong 5 inning guy.

Corey Taylor (a righty) is physically big and emposing. I like em. I believe he's the one with a nice fastball slider combo.
They both deserve shot at double a level.

Tom Brennan said...

Good feedback, Ernest. Boots on the ground.