11/22/16

Tom Brennan - TIM TEBOW'S TALLY

Tom Brennan - TIM TEBOW'S TALLY

OK, OK, I know that Tim Tebow did not lead the Arizona Fall League in hitting, or slugging, or on base percentage.  But I'm stuck commuting in from Suffolk County on the LIRR (which I now refer to as the Trump Train).

It's a really long ride, and my thoughts wander: and Tim Tebow divinely popped into my head.  So it is article time.

So what was his tally, people?  I'm so glad you asked.

Tebow decided to give other AFL players an offensive head start, going zero for his first 13.  

Nonetheless, Tebow (Tim Terrific):

1. Outhit fellow Met Matt Oberste .192 to .184.

2. Had an on base % of .296, 88 points higher than Oberste.

3. Struck out 2 less times than fellow Met Champ Stuart in roughly the same plate appearances.

4. Was only 9th worst in the league in batting average.

5. Had a higher on base % than 19 other AFL hitters.

6. Had a .362 OBP once you exclude his first 13 plate appearance adjustment period.

7. Had a scintillating .405 OBP in his last 10 games, a rate which I would gladly take from any Mets starting position player in 2017.

8. Did all that despite being dead last in playing experience.

BOTTOM LINE:  He greatly outperformed expectations, while outperforming a bunch of other seasoned minor league AFL players.  And he was firing on all cylinders as the league season ended.

I think he will outperform in 2017, too. He always has.

7 comments:

Mack Ade said...

Tom knows I'm not a big fan of this distraction. IMO, Kanye West would be a better choice.

But I give Brennan credit for supporting the Muno-like Tebow; however, I would have chosen a better #1 reason to keep this failed football player in the organization:

"1. Outhit fellow Met Matt Oberste .192 to .184."

Really???

Reese Kaplan said...

As TJ Rivera and Paul Sewald can testify, doing well doesn't necessarily guarantee opportunity.

Tom Brennan said...

The only (BIG) difference between Rivera/Sewald and Tebow is, if competent enough to make the bigs, Tebow is a real gate attraction to many. Wendell Ladner, when alive and on the LI Nets basketball team in the 1970's, was a HUGE fan favorite, while clearly not more than a marginal player. People would come out just to see Tebow.

I am realistic, and only would want him on the Mets if he develops major league talent...better than Eric Campbell.

Mack Ade said...

Tom -

Morning.. how was the ride in?

Reese makes a great point about distorted AAA BAs vs. real time numbers in the majors. My hope is that T.J. Rivera was not an aberration.

Campbell is a great example of this.

I will stop my attack on Tebow and wait to see what he does in the 2017 season.

Tom Brennan said...

Mack, the ride in was made much shorter because I was writing the article on the train :) it is good to be distracted.

TJ Rivera could still become a Campbell but I think he is much better.

I'd be the first to trash Tebow if he flopped. Drop out those first 13 at bats and he actually had a fine AFL, and almost none of the guys from Columbia and below, who played competitively in 2016, would have come close to what he did. I'd have been stunned if he did any better.

Unknown said...

Wait a minute.....Tebow just got signed by my Jets and will start Sunday....just kidding although considering their QB choices over the last 40 years he could be a better option :)

Reese Kaplan said...

At this point Joe Namath at age 73 in an alcoholic haze would be an improvement over what the Jets are trotting out there lately.