1/16/09

The Mets Mack Attack - 1-16-9



MLB – NY Mets:

Carlos Delgado knows there will be much riding on his back when he dons his World Baseball Classic jersey for Puerto Rico in March. The Met first baseman has been given permission by Roberto Clemente's family to wear No. 21, a number considered sacred on the island because of the selfless icon who wore it for the Pittsburgh Pirates.No Puerto Rican player has worn No. 21 in international competition since the Puerto Rican winter league officially retired it after the 1998 season. Delgado says he's "honored and flattered" that Lou Melendez, the GM of Puerto Rico's team, asked the Clemente family's permission and they said yes. There's nerves, too - "I have to make sure I don't embarrass myself," Delgado said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2009/01/15/2009-01-15_carlos_delgado_will_honor_roberto_clemen.html

Last night on SNY’s Mets Hot Stove, Mets GM Omar Minaya was asked if he could bring in a player, like Adam Dunn, Bobby Abreu or Manny Ramirez, on a one-year deal, and said: “Yes, I could possibly bring in a player. But, what I don’t want to do invest the capital I have on an offensive situation when I have not yet taken care of the pitching situation… When my pitching situation is taken care of, then, then we’ll review that and see what’s out there and can we bring in a guy on that one-year situation, expecting possibly Fernando Martinez in 2010… But, what I don’t want to go is get ahead of myself and invest in areas until my pitching is taken care of.”

http://www.metsblog.com/2009/01/16/quote-minaya-on-manny-offense

Baseball America ranked OF Jeremy Reed the 4th top prospect in 2004:

4. Jeremy Reed - OF White Sox - Age 22 - ETA: July 2004
.333/.431/.477, 4 HR, 52 RBI, 17/41 K/BB, 27 SB in 222 AB for Single-A Winston-Salem
.409/.474/.591, 7 HR, 43 RBI, 19/29 K/BB, 18 SB in 242 AB for Double-A Birmingham

A left-handed line-drive hitter with 15-homer power and an outstanding eye at the plate, Reed looks like he could become baseball's best leadoff man someday.


There isn’t a clear-cut “worst first baseman” for the Mets. There are so many embarrassments that it’s difficult to find someone who was good enough to stick around for more than a handful of games but still really, really bad. David Segui was truly awful as a Met—I have him a few runs below replacement at first base offensively—but he only appeared in 85 games there. I can say similar things about Marv Throneberry and Doug Mientkiewicz. I guess I’ll go with Mike Jorgensen who appeared in 241 games. Jorgensen wasn’t a worthless player, because he’d take a walk and he had a solid glove at first, but his bat was still below replacement level. Among players who appeared in more than 100 games at first, Jorgensen, who appeared in 241, contributed the least value per game, by my count. Honorable mentions go to Mo Vaughn, Tim Harkness, Butch Huskey, Dave Kingman, and Willie Montanez. If you want to argue in favor of any of them I’d certainly listen; they were uniformly terrible. If Montanez had a worse glove, he’d be the easy choice.

http://www.metsgeek.com/articles/2009/01/15/position-retrospective-first-base-part-ii

"Right now, we're not in the position player market. We're in the pitcher market." - Omar Minaya, Jan. 13, 2009. OK, here's the thing: It's the same market. Maybe a different aisle, but the same market. I get that the Mets lost out on Derek Lowe. And I realize that they need a starting pitcher. And I understand that they do not have unlimited resources. But to say, "We have XX dollars to purchase one starting pitcher" is about the worst approach imaginable.
http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090115&content_id=1488023&oid=36018&vkey=31

David Ardsma was designated for assignment today. This was a 1st rounder that came out of college in 2003, opened at the A+ level, and rushed to the majors in 2004. He has already pitched for 4 major league teams, has a combined major league record of 10-3, 5.29, 1.65, in 128 appearances, and has thrown 139 Ks in 144.2 IP... and, the 6'5" RHP is only 26. This is the kind of player the Mets should lock up and play all year at AAA.

A+ - Lucy:

Elvin Ramirez is here on the basis of nice size at 6’3” and a slightly plus fastball. In July, before he was shut down with back problems, Ramirez was throwing 91-94 while sitting 92-93. His second pitch was a curveball that was very inconsistent. , He snapped off a few sharp ones with nice movement, and some that just didn’t break at all. 2008: Ramirez didn’t pitch again after July 9. Ramirez excelled in two related statistical metrics: groundball to flyball ratio (1.77) and HR rate (1 allowed in 81 IP). However, Ramirez did not meet two of the more important statistical markers for prospects: he did not strike out a batter an inning, nor did his K/BB climb above 2.5. Projected 2009 Start: St. Lucie rotation
http://www.metsminorleagueblog.com/2009/01/15/35-elvin-ramirez

A – Gnats:

Zach Lutz tore the cover off the ball for a month… and then got hurt. Whereas in 2007, he broke his foot on opening night, in 2008 at various moments, he was diagnosed with a strained quad, a lower back problem and an ankle injury. Projected 2009 Start: A-ball. Either St. Lucie or Savannah, with the FSL a likelier possibility.

http://www.metsminorleagueblog.com/2009/01/15/34-zach-lutz


Alumni:

Edgardo Alfonzo, yes THAT Edgardo Alfonzo, is making a bid to return to the big leagues. Remember when we had the best defensive infield ever? Magical times my friends...magic. In a story reminiscent of Fernando Tatis, Fonzie was last seen in a big league uniform in 2006, when he hit a paltry .126 for the Angels and Blue Jays. He was a former star and still young when he departed. It seems as if his true promise was never met. He has now dropped a few pounds and is raking in the Venezuelan leagues to the tune of a .322 BA, with 8 dingers and 42 RBIs in 60 games

http://nysportsdog.blogspot.com/2009/01/fonzie-rising-comeback-in-offing.html

Former Mets first baseman Rico Brogna has been hired as an assistant football coach at Wesleyan University. It will be Brogna’s second stint with the Cardinals, where he coached the wide receivers in 2004. Coach Frank Hauser said Brogna will help with the offense, but does not yet have a specific role.

http://mets.lohudblogs.com/2009/01/15/ex-met-brogna-finds-new-job

General Baseball News:

The last time Todd left comment on my blog was December 14th which few days before he knew he got a cancer, he wrote:
Jessica,
The rotation is looking very good indeed. I feel this is going to be a Cy Young year for Wang.
Later on, he posted his last post about baseball and him on December 22th. If you guys have chances, please go to his blog(Yankees For Justice) to read his writing. I always told Todd he got incredible and amazing ability of writing. But, this is not the thing I remember he the most. The most I remember him is his upbeat and friendly personality. I remember I told him I probably regret not to be old Yankees stadium at least once last year. Todd asked me to go and not to worry about anything. He would get tickets and everything else ready for me. Now, I really regret not to go because I will at least meet Todd once, not because of old Yankees stadium. I started blogging back to May 2007. At the beginning, one event happened and made me almost give up blogging. Todd encouraged me and gave to the supports I need to keep blogging. Rest in Peace, Todd Drew. I always will remember you and what you said to me.

http://fightingyankees.blogspot.com/2009/01/i-miss-you-and-will-remember-everything.html

No comments: