9/25/10

Q&A Weekend - Trading Jose

Frank Finn emailed to me:




I noticed in one of your Q&A posts last weekend that you were for the idea of trading Jose Reyes. Well, after thinking about it I think the Mets should trade him as well. My idea was to maybe trade him straight up for Matt Cain but I am unsure of both players value. Thought maybe you can maybe help me find a fair trade for both sides because of your knowledge of the Mets major and minor league system.

Frank, good to hear from you again...

Trading an established star is more about receiving a positional need. The best part of trading Reyes is the fact that the Mets already have a decent replacement at shortstop in Ruben Tejada. No, he's not Jose, but he's not Rey Ordonez either.

In my opinion, Reyes would give the Mets an opportunity to fill two positions. He's that much of a star.

I'm thinking an SP2/3 and a catcher to either replace or compliment Josh Thole.

The tempting thing would to go bat, especially after this miserable season, but I truly think the Mets will be fine in 2011 offensively. I expect Jason Bay to come back fully and Ike Davis to become a 25-30 home run guy.

We're going to have to wait and see who the GM will be and what he thinks... a new mind could easily go for the three-prospect deal for Jose.

Remember one thing about new General Managers... they want their own people as quick as they can get them in.

No comments: